Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor / Ignition upgrades
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
My dizzy needs to be rebuilt. The plates are sticky and I think the vacuum retard pot is shot.

There are a lot of aftermarket upgrades. If they are significantly better than the stock setup (75 2.0) then now is the time.

So, what would you do? Refurb what I have? Upgrade to Mallory Unilite? Pertronix Flamethrower?
Joe Ricard
Well I love my Mallory Dizzy. Jake set it up for advance curves to match my engine and car. and I just pluncked it in and set timing.
Don't know how you get around FI points.

on the cheap you can clean the stock unit and it should work pretty good again. You will have to take some of it apart.
lapuwali
You still running D-Jet? If so, fixing the stock unit is likely your best bet, as you have to keep the trigger points. If you're running carbs, a Mallory Unilite is probably the best option. If you're adventurous, you can add something like trigger points to a Mallory (Mueller did this, do a search) and use one with D-Jet. Or, you can switch to Megasquirt and use a locked 009 and program your own advance curve, using the solid-state manifold pressure sensor in the MS to give you the vacuum curve.
Rand
Still D-Jet. I guess I'll just clean it up for now. Maybe megasquirt when I rebuild my engine.

So about the vacuum retard pot... Mityvac on the hose, won't pull anything. How else would you test it?
lapuwali
Your vacuum pot is toast. See if you can find one used.
Rand
Thanks James. That's what I was afraid of. Off to the classifieds then...

What do you call the dizzy / what number is it? (1975 2.0 DJet no vacuum advance.)
lapuwali
The number is stamped on the side of the dizzy itself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.