Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Space saver 5-lug spare
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
I just bought a new (to me) 5-lug space saver spare and it arrived yesterday. I couldn't believe that the thing weighed that much.

I weighed it as 32 lbs. I weighed one from a 74 911 and it was the same. I weighed my 930 spare and it was the same as well.

How/why did they make it weigh so much? A full size wheel/tire doesn't weigh much less if at all.
914-8
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Jun 27 2006, 10:23 AM) *

A full size wheel/tire doesn't weigh much less if at all.

The 911 spare pretty much is a full size spare (it's not a mini spare donut like you see on domestic cars). It's just a folded up full size spare.
Aaron Cox
put it on a fuch.. much lighter then tongue.gif

see my blog
dflesburg
Geez John,

Get a AAA card with unlimited towing... it fits in your wallet. Plus tow truck drivers are fun to ride with...

Like Goober on Dukes of Hazzard. Good ole boys.

beer.gif
John
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jun 27 2006, 10:12 AM) *

Geez John,

Get a AAA card with unlimited towing... it fits in your wallet. Plus tow truck drivers are fun to ride with...

Like Goober on Dukes of Hazzard. Good ole boys.

beer.gif

Go run a marathon or something....

JmuRiz
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 27 2006, 10:09 AM) *

see my blog

Now that's cool...I noticed the same thing when given a space-saver...heavier than my fuchs spare. Did you use a new space-saver tire and mount it to a spare rim you had?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jun 27 2006, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 27 2006, 10:09 AM) *

see my blog

Now that's cool...I noticed the same thing when given a space-saver...heavier than my fuchs spare. Did you use a new space-saver tire and mount it to a spare rim you had?

used tire, took off rim and mounted on my fuch...

usually the steel wheel is destroyed when taking off the tire.. the lip bends like a can opener to a can
Eric_Shea
usually the steel wheel is destroyed when taking off the tire.. the lip bends like a can opener to a can

Should read:

usually the steel wheel is destroyed when SLITS is taking off the tire.. the lip bends like a can opener to a can

The man is a monster! w00t.gif

(damnit John, get some pics of the e-brake... and some 2%) lol3.gif
horizontally-opposed
Using a Mahle gasburner for a spare (8.8 pounds if I remember it right, but someone will correct me, I am sure).

That said, I have no idea what the 205/55R15 BFG on it weighs. That thing is old and doesn't let the trunk floor lie flat. Maybe it's time to get a skinny tire for the spare? Ah, but then does a different diameter matter in back with no LSD?

Or do I just swap a front for a rear and then a spare up front if it gets to that?

Finally, what is the lightest 15-inch tire that could be used as a spare? Could a collap-suh-ble be put on a Mahle like it has been on a Fuchs a la 916 (from BFG, no less)?

pete
Eric_Shea
You can put the collapsable on any 15x6" rim I would imagine...
T H O M A S
5.5x16 spare from a 993 turbo,aluminium
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.