Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi/Low relay for headlights.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
Okay, got my fogs to work. Just needed to rotate the glass/bulb housing about 1mm clockwise smile.gif 35w bulbs...hmm...not very bright...maybe I'll put 55w in later. Oh, to remove the glass bezel you undo the retaining screw at the base, pry the bottom of the bezel away from the housing, then lift the bottom up and swing away from the top. The top has a catch on the inside that the bezel hooks on to (very much like a stock VW T3 headlight trim ring is attached). I'm also in the process of disconnecting them from the headlights so they operate independantly with the ignition switch ON.

Now, attached is a scan of two relays. The silver one came with the car, has part number 111 941 583A on it, and when installed the low beams are on. When I hook up the new relay (supposed to be a replacement unit) the lights do not come on. With either unit I cannot switch between hi/low beams. You can see the circuit diagram on them and they are different (great). I did try jumpering 56 to 30 and still no success.

Any ideas? Why doesn't the new black unit work? Does it sound like my hi/low column switch is bad (and how hard is it to replace)? I do have several shop manuals to help if I need to replace the column switch but, geez, I really don't want to...
TheCabinetmaker
They look like different relays. What year car?
redshift
Disscussion on another board (Pbird)

I had the exact same problem a couple of months ago. It turned out that the square metal relay that is under the dash needs to be grounded very well. It has a lousey design where it clips into place & the clip is the ground. I took the relay out & bent the clip so that it would have a nice snug fit - that worked!

Hope this helps.

Vern

And

Sounds like symptoms I had a couple years back. I replaced the relay and that fixed the issue. If the original silver relay that Mark's talking about has been replaced, you might instead have a square black plastic relay instead.

If you do wind up replacing the original silver relay, you'll notice that the contacts on the later black plastic one are configured a little differently. You'll have to jumper a couple of contacts. Let me know if you go this route & I'll look up the diagram & send it to you.

Good luck!

Mark

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=130293

M
Air_Cooled_Nut
Thanks, sort of...

One guy said that the clip is not a ground. Judging from the diagram on the relay body I would agree.

Uhm, I really don't want yet another BBS/forum to belong to. Sheesh! This one, the VW Vortex and the Type III email list I'm on keep me plenty busy. Anybody here have that secretive, alternate wiring diagram that dude was talking about?
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Oct 7 2003, 05:04 PM)
They look like different relays. What year car?

Like my signature states, 1973 wink.gif cool_shades.gif
MarkV
Did you try prying it open and filing the contacts. Fixed mine in 20 minutes and it should be good for another 30 years. laugh.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
No, I spent half the day disassembling my drill so I could replace the damn chuck! ohmy.gif Actually, it was the assembly -- and the damn brushes -- that took 3/4 of my time.

If I can fix a drill I'm sure I can tear apart and gently clean up the internals wink.gif I'll give her a go in the morn. Thanks!
philinjax
Air-Cooled,

I think to make the new black relay work, you should connect pin 56 to pin 30. But, I don't think the problem is in the relays. Either your dimmer switch in the wheel is not working or one of the two arc shaped plugs next to the steering coulum are not fully seated. (You have to stand on your head looking up at the steering wheel to see these two plugs).

You can test the relays by touching a ground to pin S (the YW/RD wire). If the relay then works, you will know that the dimmer switch or the mini-plugs on the steering coulum are the likely failure points.

Phil
Air_Cooled_Nut
I did test both relays by applying power like you said and they both clicked.
philinjax
Yes, but did the lights go from dim to high beam & vis=versa? If so, then as I had said, you have two places to look. The easiest are making sure to two plugs next to the steering coulum are fully seated. If they are, you will likely be looking at pulling the wheel.

Phil
PhilipT
Toby,

For the relay, S is the ground that controls the relay motor. When you pull on your hi/lo switch, you are grounding S, for a second or so. This transfer power for 56 to 56a or 56 to 56b and it stays that way until you ground S again. This is an interesting relay with a memory. The replacement relay needs power to 56 and 30 where the old relay had an internal jumper.

To check your switch, see if the wire to S goes to ground when you pull on your hi/lo switch.

I just rewired my 914 and thought my hi/lo switch was broken until I figuired out this relay.

Philip
Air_Cooled_Nut
PhilipT and all,
Thanks man, that helped a lot! I grounded at the steering column plug and everything worked like it should. So my issue lies within the steering column sad.gif

Got the fogs wired up so they will come on whenever the ignition switch is on regardless of headlights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.