Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk paper air hoses.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
jk76.914
OK. So I replaced the air hoses in my front trunk on my '76 when I had everything apart. The original ones were tan, but with lots of black Ziebart overspray in weird , though not necessarily unattractive, patterns. The replacement hoses are black. At that point I had only set out to give the car a "new paint job", that she had earned after 20 summers of my ownership, and I was still thinking "sharp" vs. "original". For some reason, I came to assume that the tan ones are correct for any 914.

Then I just saw the 916 for sale for $350,000 in the other thread, and I noted that it's air hoses are black!

So what's the story? Black or tan? or does it vary by year?

Thanks,
Jim

PS- I'm not going to rip mine out to replace them if it turns out they are supposed to be tan!
tod914
75-76 tan. Check out Dave's car on zone 1 champ thread, you can see it in the 1st picture. I dont recall the other years but I believe they are also tan.
Pat Garvey
Mine are tan - '72.

Do these things degrade like everything else, or are they permanent? Can't believe mine are still GAN! Nver touched them either!
jk76.914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 27 2006, 04:27 PM) *

Mine are tan - '72.

Do these things degrade like everything else, or are they permanent? Can't believe mine are still GAN! Nver touched them either!

I can only speak from my own experience- they don't degrade when they're Ziebarted! biggrin.gif
sixerdon
They do change from year to year, although the outer tan paper/alum. only seems to vary in diameter. The ones on 70/71 are larger due to no side vent.
The middle ones are black paper/alum on my '70 sixes. Black plastic on my '75. At some point they switched. When was it?

Don
tod914
Here's Dave's 1976, same as my 1975.

Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
Tan all around on my '72!
Bleyseng
Tan or my junked 70 and tan on my 76.
tod914
Don, my 75 is the same as yours with the center hoses being black plastic. How are the 73-74s ??
914runnow
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jun 27 2006, 11:44 AM) *

OK. So I replaced the air hoses in my front trunk on my '76 when I had everything apart. The original ones were tan, but with lots of black Ziebart overspray in weird , though not necessarily unattractive, patterns. The replacement hoses are black. At that point I had only set out to give the car a "new paint job", that she had earned after 20 summers of my ownership, and I was still thinking "sharp" vs. "original". For some reason, I came to assume that the tan ones are correct for any 914.

Then I just saw the 916 for sale for $350,000 in the other thread, and I noted that it's air hoses are black!

So what's the story? Black or tan? or does it vary by year?

Thanks,
Jim

PS- I'm not going to rip mine out to replace them if it turns out they are supposed to be tan!

Hey All...Uhmmmmm Tan for the fours all years that I know..
My earliest take apart was 10/70..just recent..
My new ones from Porsche , back from 99??..are a brownish black color..
Came from Reno warehouse..Made the parts guy go back to the counter
and get 'tan'...
they said no go.....that was the correct replacement part..
SoIgottahbrown..
Datsit!!!
914runnow
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jun 27 2006, 06:43 PM) *

They do change from year to year, although the outer tan paper/alum. only seems to vary in diameter. The ones on 70/71 are larger due to no side vent.
The middle ones are black paper/alum on my '70 sixes. Black plastic on my '75. At some point they switched. When was it?

Don

Just checked pics of a late 74 2.0..The center tubes were replaced with the newer brown ones...and the down tubes also replaced with the brown..
Seems though I just remember seeing the plastic 'collapsable' ones
on 75 and 76's...that were the center tubes..
OH and they are fragile after a few years..
This car was 95% concour correct....and most pieces came from
Porsche..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.