Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust, Rust and oh wait is that Rust...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
proto31
I'm writing this for a friend who seems to be ready to chop out every peice of rust in site before he stops and thinks of the consequences. sawzall-smiley.gif He has bought some acid from Osh, not sure what it is but seems like the same stuff they sell at Home Depot for cleaning rust off of rain gutters. The HD stuff works great! Anyway, should he treat the rusted areas with the acid, grind away as much rust that he can and then weld a few plates on top of the wholes that may be left. Most of the rust that he is battling is in the diver's side floor pan. It's not all that bad, not really a structural issue rather preventative maintenance. I know everybody here seems to love POR15, but other than using that stuff after he has neutralized the rust is there anything else he should do?

One other question, he lives near the beach, so everytime he cleans an area of rust it starts to re-rust again fairly soon. He will not be welding stuff for a few days so I was thinking that he could protect the area by spraying weld-thru primer on it. Has anyone used a type of weld-thru primer before?
highways
Hey Proto thanks for the help and overall concern in assisting me to kick your ass in this bet , but as usual I'm one step ahead of you, like I will be all the way until the end. Sir Andy gave a very helpful answer on this rust/clean/treat question. Check out my Porsche Restoration Factory @ the Ghetto Garage thread to watch your competition, play by play, rapidly gaining on you. smilie_pokal.gif
highways
I'll post more pics tonight on the other thread... and take opinions. But Sir Andy's and your ideas sound good.
Allan
sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif

barf.gif
bottomend
Hey Proto, I know that we're all supposed to bow down and pray.gif you but when you type.gif I cant prevent myself from yawn.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.