Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Tarett sway bar on the RS.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
After dropping off Liz's car for alignment this morning, I got to perform some overdue work on the RS.

Here's the new Tarett sway bar:

Series9
And Luckie got the picture of me scrubbing the bottom of the car with soap and water.

I'm definitely no CW, but I can't stand it all dirty:

So.Cal.914
Nice..
Eric_Shea
(C-Dub)
Andyrew
Let me just say.... I think my 944 turbo calipers are overkill...

Your six pots are WAY overkill.
BigDBass
IPB Image

I don't know what half that stuff is, but it sure is pretty! smile.gif
J P Stein
Humm.....rusty rotors..... idea.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 27 2006, 07:33 PM) *

Humm.....rusty rotors..... idea.gif

Must be a garage queen poke.gif I know big talk from a guy who does not have a car at this point in time.... idea.gif happy11.gif
Series9
Look, you guys don't want to make fun of my brake arrangement.

There's not another car in the world that has it, and I can easily un-ass my seat into the straps under light/moderate pedal pressure.

I'm sure you know the 'rust' is from the water I used for cleaning today.
Series9
Liz's car back from alignment.

I'm about to finish with it, mechanically. That will be the end of the build for me. She will have to handle the rest.
Series9
A little bling for the RS. Replated strut plates:

Series9
And the gas tank hardware:

Thack
Why do you call it an RS? The motor? the style?
Series9
It's a 3.6 with EVERYTHING.

So, to me, it's an RS.

QUOTE(Thack @ Jun 27 2006, 07:21 PM) *

madd_dogg_914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 27 2006, 05:26 PM) *

I think my 944 turbo calipers are overkill...

Your six pots are WAY overkill.

This word you use. . . overkill . . . what does it mean, I dont understand. Overkill on a car, isn't that like too much fun, I thought there was no such thing. PLUS, it looks soo freakin' COOL!!!
Andyrew
It means

"I paid way too much money for just bragging rights... But I like bragging rights!!"

Series9
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 27 2006, 08:49 PM) *

It means

"I paid way too much money for just bragging rights... But I like bragging rights!!"

There is definitely truth in the young man's comments...
Aaron Cox
andyrew's car has some overkill....

Bondo. LOL

poke.gif
TimT

heh is it a 4 cam engine? alfred.gif

You have some nice cars there...

On interesting tidbit... we have recently installed a stock front swaybar in our 935...we removed the charley bar..we are controling roll with spring rate.. and fine tuning with sway bar...
Eric_Shea

(really slow) w00t.gif
MattR
Overkill can also mean you lock your tires up when you dont want to.

996 brakes are made for some big rubber with a brake booster and an entirely different master cylinder.

I have NO doubt in Joe's work. Everything he's ever done has been top notch, but I just wanted to add the disclaimer that its not a plug and play thing. I'm confident Joe took the right steps to make it work, but bigger isnt always better.

Aaron can vouch for that.
Aaron Cox
its not the size of the boat eh matt? LOL

nice jab poke.gif LOL chairfall.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 27 2006, 07:49 PM) *

It means

funny coming from a person that had to stuff a V8 in thier 914 biggrin.gif poke.gif

Mueller
QUOTE(MattR @ Jun 27 2006, 08:46 PM) *

996 brakes are made for some big rubber with a brake booster and an entirely different master cylinder.

I have NO doubt in Joe's work. Everything he's ever done has been top notch, but I just wanted to add the disclaimer that its not a plug and play thing. I'm confident Joe took the right steps to make it work, but bigger isnt always better.

It's called take you foot off the f$%#ing pedal and learn to use less leg/foot force screwy.gif

People act like those that have big brakes only know how to slam on the brakes and always operate them like an on/off switch....

John

Where is the "Blinky the winking cat"?
East coaster
Joe, Any info on how you plumbed your fuel expansion tank/vent?? I see the little hose running somewhere? I'm trying to figure out how I want to plumb mine. I ran the little 1/8" plastic line through the tunnel but both ends are currently swingin' in the breeze! (me->3.6 w/almost everything)

Thx
guiltless
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 27 2006, 11:11 PM) *

QUOTE(MattR @ Jun 27 2006, 08:46 PM) *

It's called take you foot off the f$%#ing pedal and learn to use less leg/foot force screwy.gif

People act like those that have big brakes only know how to slam on the brakes and always operate them like an on/off switch....

It seems to me that if you can have a little control over leg pressure like Muller said, that a big brake setup would go way farther to prevent brake fade under heavy racing conditions. Sure a smaller setup would brake just fine, but would it do it consistently.

Plus, there is nothing worse than seeing a set of beautiful wheels and having super small brakes to fill them out. Sort of like not filling out the wheelwell.
Series9
QUOTE(East coaster @ Jun 28 2006, 05:46 AM) *

Joe, Any info on how you plumbed your fuel expansion tank/vent?? I see the little hose running somewhere? I'm trying to figure out how I want to plumb mine. I ran the little 1/8" plastic line through the tunnel but both ends are currently swingin' in the breeze! (me->3.6 w/almost everything)

Thx

That tube goes through a grommet into my aluminum rain tray.
Series9
The tube goes into this piece. The picture was taken before tube was installed.

Eric_Shea
Sure a smaller setup would brake just fine, but would it do it consistently.

Yup. But it depends on how small. The "only" time a stock brake has been known to fade is under extreme road racing situations. Stock 914 brakes would "not" do it consistently with Joes tire and engine combo. We been round-and-round with it and it seems that A or S-Calipers are all you would need with GT flares, meats and power. Our cars are light.

That being said Joe's (aka C-Dub, aka Turtlette) brakes sure be nice. wink.gif

I see the point on less leg but I also wonder how easy it would be to modulate a system like that with all the adrenaline flowing at the auto-x or road course. Not taking any shots... I seriously would like to know. I know I get really sauce'd up with I'm auto-xing. The adrenal glands are working overtime. I have a hard time double clutching let alone modulating brakes. A road course would probably be different. Anybody BTDT?
TravisNeff
with a 19mm master cylinder, modulation should not be an issue. I would bet that would be an on/off setup with a 23mm unit. Plus the cool factor is way high
Eric_Shea
Wouldn't it be easier to modulate with the 23? I'm too old and poor to be cool biggrin.gif
Series9
I have a 19mm MC moving 20 pistons. It works great and is very easy to modulate.

I think a hard pedal is worthless.
Eric_Shea
I wanna drive it next week... k?
TravisNeff
Why would it be easier to modulate with a bigger MC? with a smaller unit you will have more pedal travel to aide in modulation.
Series9
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 28 2006, 10:37 AM) *

Why would it be easier to modulate with a bigger MC? with a smaller unit you will have more pedal travel to aide in modulation.

That's exactly the point. A 19mm MC is very small for the amount of brake I have on the car.

It actually moves when I press it. I like that.

And no Eric, you're not driving the RS. happy11.gif
Eric_Shea
Why would it be easier to modulate with a bigger MC?

Requires more force. Less travel but more force. Meaning it would take a good amount of leg vs. longer travel and whimpy legs like Joe's w00t.gif

And no Eric, you're not driving the RS.

Then you're parking in the street! tongue.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 28 2006, 09:20 AM) *

I see the point on less leg but I also wonder how easy it would be to modulate a system like that with all the adrenaline flowing at the auto-x or road course. Not taking any shots... I seriously would like to know. I know I get really sauce'd up with I'm auto-xing. The adrenal glands are working overtime. I have a hard time double clutching let alone modulating brakes. A road course would probably be different. Anybody BTDT?

Never having done an official road course I cannot comment to that. For SCCA autocross (Solo II) I don't get that adrenal rush -- racing is like walking, it comes naturally. After a run I'm relaxed, calm, as if I just had a foot massage. If it were an adrenalin rush I'd be shaky, twitchy, and breathing/heart rate would be up. So I know I can modulate my brakes while racing. I have a sneaking suspicion that when I eventually hit a road track it'll be the same way.

It's when I look at my time -- compared to my class competition -- that I get twitchy and my heart pounds...I need race tires! :shake fist at sky:
Eric_Shea
racing is like walking

Maybe for you "Race God" biggrin.gif

Seriously, I'm 180 from that. On a road course I am much more calm. Auto-x is against the clock and the cones for me... it's a great rush.

Maybe when I get more experience I'll be able to relate. wink.gif
Series9
I did body work today. WTF.gif

Three fresh coats of primer on the top:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.