Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a couple of electrical questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
ok, so I have a complete 74 wiring harness laying in the living room right now and my mom keeps asking when it is going back out to the garage. dead horse.gif So before it goes in the car, I want to wire it for all the goodies. First off, I want fog lights and it did not originally come with them. It does have wires for the fogs up front tucked behind the horn wiring, but I cannot seem to find any wiring to the switch..so what do I do? I did a search and came up with nothing for all of 27 pages...(BTW the seach function sucks). I have a wiring diagram in front of me, but those things confuse the hell out of me chair.gif . I also want to rewire it so the fuel pump is in the front. Is there a cleaner way to run the fuel pump up front without running more wire all the way from the back of the car to the front?? Thanks, i know these are stupid questions chairfall.gif
So.Cal.914
The wiring for the fog light switch should be there. Done this before and it was

a no brainer. On the fuel pump, sure just find w/ a meter a spot on the fuse panel

that stays hot with the key on and goes off when the key is off. You could run the

wires w/ the ones that go from D side under the dash down to the M/C switch.
Dave_Darling
What kind of fuel system are you running? If carbs, then go ahead and find any "switched power" lead, as described above. If EFI, then I would strongly suggest running a single extra wire along the main wiring harness all the way up front. Hook it to the old fuel pump plug's black/red wire, and plug it in to the pump's + terminal. Run a wire from the pump's (-) terminal to any convenient ground.

Doing this preserves the safety feature where the pump will stop pumping if the engine quits. A nice way to help avoid fires...

--DD
grasshopper
ok, thanks guys. I am running carbs, so I will just run power off another line. I will go look for the fog light wiring.
grasshopper
ok, so I did a little digging, and a little reaserch with the wiring diargram, and found that I have all the wires except one.. I have the ground wires at the fogs, the wire connecting the fogs, and the yellow wire that goes to the fuse panel. ok, well there is no wire coming out of the other side. I traced the fog light relay and all the wires are there. And I have the two other wires for the switch, the brown(ground) and the red/white from the relay, but I am missing the blue/black. I 'think' it is supposed to come from the other side of the fuse... Is that correct? so I just need to run one more wire from the fuse panel to the other two wires and I will be done? Here is the wiring diagram and key.
grasshopper
so did all harnesses have the wiring for the fog lights??? On the 76 I just cut up they did NOT have the wiring. Any... Not at the fog lights or at the switch...soo what years did and didn't??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.