Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter question - mounted higher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kdfoust
I'm pulling together the bill of materials for my 915 conversion and have one big blank spot on the list. The shifter. Right now I'm running a new generation Rennshift and that's just fine for what I've got. It actually looks good and makes the 901 side shift a little bit more useful.

What I'm looking for is a shifter that places the shift lever at the same elevation as the three o'clock position of the steering wheel. I don't want to do this with a longer shift lever - we all know what happens then. Is there a shifter out there in the racing world that'll do this job? I remember seeing a 914 with a hyper-trick shifter that was mounted to the floor and to the roll cage knee bar that placed the shifter right up where I'm wanting it but I believe that it was completely custom fabricated - which I seek to avoid...

Ideas anyone?

Regards,
Kevin
Jeroen
what you're looking for is usually called a 935 shifter

I've also seen 911s with the stock 915 shifter mounted on a "pedestal"
this requires some changes/fabbing of the rod that goes from the shifter to the firewall, and I'm not sure if it'll work in a 914 (a 911 has the shift-coupler inside the car, before it goes through the firewall)

http://hargettprecision.com is supposed to come out with a 915 version
turboman808
Wevo seems to me to be mounted pretty high. Only 914 I drove so I don't have anything to compare it to. I did see they also sell a shift knob that raises it even higher. Incidentialy called the race knob

IPB Image
Jeroen
QUOTE(kdfoust @ Jun 28 2006, 04:36 AM) *

I don't want to do this with a longer shift lever - we all know what happens then

wink.gif

if you just lenghten the lever you end up with really long throws (lots of movement going from gear to gear)
drgchapman
I elected to mount the tall WEVO shifter in my car. Feels like a rally car, shifter is just below 3 o'clock position relative to the steering wheel. I really like it. Great stuff that WEVO.

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
with a 915 cable shifter... you could even put it on the dash.....
TravisNeff
just what we all need, 3 on the tree. LOL
Aaron Cox
ROFL......

like a rally car... right next to the wheel with micro throw smile.gif

three on the tree LOL
Jeroen
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
drgchapman
Here are a couple of pics of the WEVO long shifter in my finished car. Tried to keep a consistent angle....almost. They illustrate first and second gear. As you can see, the throw is quite short, much shorter than stock side shifter. I'm really liking the feel of the height, very close to the wheel.
dekman
Kevin, nice pic's. I'm doing a 915 Wevo side shift kit now also. Is your setup cable shift? I'm using stock 915 shifter ( Jim Patrick said Wevo shifter($500) is too tight?) Also like the look of the Hargett 915 product...prob will not fit(cable?) and very expensive...... clap56.gif
So.Cal.914
If you are useing cable shift there was a guy on not long ago that adapted a

shifter out of a rice burner, I think, He liked it. I believe he was one of the 914-8

guys, If he see's this hopefully he will post spec's for you. You should be able to

put it almost anywhere.
seanery
Doesn't Fabcar make a 935 shifter, too?
I think Smart Racing sells them.
kdfoust
QUOTE(dekman @ Jun 28 2006, 10:19 PM) *

Kevin, nice pic's. I'm doing a 915 Wevo side shift kit now also. Is your setup cable shift? I'm using stock 915 shifter ( Jim Patrick said Wevo shifter($500) is too tight?) Also like the look of the Hargett 915 product...prob will not fit(cable?) and very expensive...... clap56.gif

Where can I see the Hargett shifter? I couldn't find anything in google...

Regards,
Kevin
seanery
QUOTE(kdfoust @ Jun 29 2006, 10:43 AM) *

Where can I see the Hargett shifter? I couldn't find anything in google...
Regards,
Kevin

See Jeroen's first post, there is a link there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.