Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I was driving home today and SNAP! Clutch pedal flat on the floor. Luckily, I was close to home and could manage to get home.

I assume that it is my clutch cable. It is a little too dark to see for sure, but it looks like its busted.

Any hints, advice or odd tools needed to do the replacement? All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
r_towle
Check your clutch tube while you are at it, Brad did a nice pictorial for the tube in question, search this board for Clutch tube and you should find it.

Rich
mikester
Hey Joe, same thing happened to me a while ago.

I always carry a spare now. Replacement is pretty easy too. Let me know if you need a hand.
JRust
I second the clutch tube check. Mine did basically the same thing & it was the clutch tube that had broken away from the center tunnel. Everything else was just fine including the cable!
KaptKaos
Thanks for the advice. I will take a look this weekend and post my findings.

Are there any special tricks that make this easier to do?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe
JRust
You can check your clutch tube in the engine bay underneath where it comes thru the firewall. If it is loose there it will most likely be loose up front too. Also there are a few access panels in your center tunel to check up front. The easiest & biggest opening is to pull your gear shifter. That will give you room to get in there & check. If it is broken from the firewall cut out a section that will give you plenty of room to weld. Your gas lines run thru there also & they are plastic sad.gif . I did the kinda ubolt job & then welded. Works & is solid but doesn't look as clean underneath. I would not do it that way again! Good luck & hope it is just the cable
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Oct 7 2003, 05:15 PM)
I assume that it is my clutch cable.

check also the roll pin that secures the clutch pedal to the crosstube. these can and do fail. if it's that, it's also a great time to replace the pedal bushings if you'd got the inclination and access to a press or a friend with one. there was evidently a spate of bad roll pins included with pedal bushing kits, and if you believe the Porsche dealer gets theirs from somewhere else, it's part number 900.309.002.00

of the three, cable is probably the easiest...
mikester
I have heard of a few guys using JB weld to secure this tube. Having seen some of the stress and vibration JB weld can take - I would try it myself.
KaptKaos
Many thanks to Mikester for proving me the help and guidance to get the clutch cable replace this weekend. What would have taken me 4 hours the first time through, Mikester got done in about an hour.

I owe you lunch.

- Joe
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.