Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire away
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
My trip to California proved to me I need a little extra oil cooling, so I'm trying something a little different. Here is the way I plumbed it off the engine. I removed the galley plugs that I had installed at my rebuild and used 3/8" NPT street els to come off the front of the block. I ran the out bound line into a remote filter and then a thermostat, then to a cooler, back to the themostat and into the case. The filter bracket is bolted to the cooling shroud where the AC stuff would go. It will be a very convenient place. I had to angle it a little to fit it under the tin.
Aaron Cox
i thought aeroquip socketless hose said no hose clamps ?

lets see da cooler!
Joe Ricard
I guess I don't understand. I always thought you had to come off the pump and block the internal passage.
plumb all cooler and filter lines then back into engine. I suppose you can use a galley plug.

But using both galley plugs leaves no differential in pressure and no flow through cooler and such.

Mayb I just can't see straight.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Bottom picture, on the engine, there's a cable attached to a lever and a spring...wuzzatfor? A MegaSquirt contraption?
eeyore
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 28 2006, 09:48 AM) *

But using both galley plugs leaves no differential in pressure and no flow through cooler and such.

There are two plugs on the front of the case, one above the other.

The lower one is for the passage from the pump to the oil filter
The upper one is for the passage from the oil filter into the pressure relief / oil cooler.

The lower plug has a street elbow, which bypasses the stock oil filter (there is a block-off plate on that). The oil goes through all the extra stuff, then come back into the block through another street elbow tapped into the upper plug.
Joe Ricard
Well ya go. I can quit early for today. I learned something. Nice. Next motor is definately gettingthis treatment.

BTW Dave is that your motor OUT OF YOUR CAR AGAIN?
DNHunt
Here from bellow. Filter and thermostat. Mark that drawing is great right up with Mile's art work but that's exactly what I did.
DNHunt
Here's the cooler. Port side, aft and below the waterline. Flame away.

Dave
eeyore
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jun 28 2006, 04:46 PM) *

Mark that drawing is great right up with Mile's art work but that's exactly what I did.

Miles' brilliant work "Brad's Jail-bust" has been the inspiration for many hacked-together Paintbrush illustrations.
J P Stein
Well Dave....I hope it works for you. ....wherever the hell it is. biggrin.gif
I've always figured if you can't put eyeballs on the fins, they won't see any flowing air.....but I've been wrong before and I just know you have a plan huh.gif
Katmanken
Give it a whirl Dave,

Oil temp numbers don't lie...

(Unless the gauge or sender are broke.)

I was worried you had a roof mounted oil fountain with catch basin for a cooler...

If it don't work, tell everybody JP told you to do it.... happy11.gif

Ken

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.