Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
po had the fuel pump hot wired off the coil. want to put it back to original way.but am not sure how. not good at electrical scematics. any simple tips? i know this much (i think) must be wired back to the relay board, but how?
ptravnic
Not sure where the hot wire comes from but make sure its well grounded and the fuel pump is not pumping out 75psi...

happy11.gif
lapuwali
On the relay board, on the bigger connector (the one closer to the firewall), pin 13 should have a black/red wire attached. This is switched by the fuel pump relay on the board. The larger (25A) fuse powers this relay (as well as other things).

If you're running carbs, note that the relay is switched by the EFI controller, so you'll need to jumper two pins on the ECU connector (the 4-pin connector aft). These pins are marked I and III on the board.
nycchef
i see what you mean, but how to i attach the wire. splice it in to the connector on the harness? and coil has 2 electrical connectors on it, is one supposed to be empty? sorry about all the questions
lapuwali
Depends on how the PO hacked it. If there's still a black/red wire coming off the relay board, then find the unconnected end and there's your power wire. Strip and splice or just connect it straight to the pump. How depends on what pump you're using.

If there's no black/red wire and you can't find anything connected to that pin, then you'll have to pop open the connector (snaps together, but tends to be very brittle this old) to see if the pin is still intact. If it is, you solder on a new wire. If it's not, you get to have fun trying to find one (no one makes them anymore).

The short version is, you'll need to get creative and do some poking around to see what you have. I can't help you much, as I can't see what you've got now. It's certain due to past hackage you don't have a stock setup.

JPB
Hey bro, look in the classic threads under "runnig fuel pump for carbs' by SirAndy. This has all the pics and stuff even for someone with slower tendencies like moi.
\
SirAndy
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jun 28 2006, 03:31 PM) *

i see what you mean, but how to i attach the wire. splice it in to the connector on the harness? and coil has 2 electrical connectors on it, is one supposed to be empty? sorry about all the questions

the wires for the fuel pump go through the main wire harness loom.

i highly doubt the PO removed them!

i bet they're still there and you're just not looking in the right place. they exit the main harness on the pass. side, near the firewall and then go down through the sheetmetal near the hell hole to the fuel pump.
two wires with a round, white plastic connector at the end ...

don't hack your harness more than it already is ...
sad.gif Andy
nycchef
maybe this will help
SirAndy
QUOTE(nycchef @ Jun 28 2006, 04:50 PM) *

maybe this will help

no ... you're looking at the WRONG connector ...

get a haynes manual, will'ya? please ...

the wires for the fuelpump go into the MAIN HARNESS, the big one, the one that goes through the center tunnel, you know, like i said before, the MAIN LOOM ... i when i say MAIN HARNESS, i don't mean the engine or FI harness .. i'm talking about THE BIG ONE ...

that would be the connector to the front of the relay board ...

so, again, i *highly* doubt the PO took those wires out of your harness. and again, they exit THE MAIN HARNESS at the pass. side, near the firewall and then go down to the fuel pump.

two wires with a round, white plastic connector ...
smile.gif Andy
SirAndy
oh, and btw. in your picture, you're MISSING the relay for the fuel pump!

dry.gif Andy
nycchef
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 28 2006, 05:09 PM) *

oh, and btw. in your picture, you're MISSING the relay for the fuel pump!

dry.gif Andy

i knew that. thanks for your help. i see where your talking about. found it in my haynes manual. it's dark now will trace it out in the morning. damn your tough. what are you a high schoo l guidance counselor or something. just kidding. are you?
rhodyguy
can't help with the fp wire search. WARNING!!! look at the fuel lines and the bulges at every clamp. those clamps are bad, bad, bad!!! look for some shouldered clamps and consider doing some replumbing. i suspect the lines may be a bit large (diameter).

k
nycchef
whole thing is comoing out and getting a new home up front. this was temp after 5 tries of installing another pump that turned out no good. if i'm learning from my mistakes i will be brilliant soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.