Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plate holders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Was cleaning up on my 73T today (yeah, I know a Porsche!) & noticed that the license plate holder is "cad" plated (or some such iteration of cad). Looked at my 914 plate & can't remember what its original finish was. Sometime through the years I remember stripping & painting it.

Anyone have an orig?
1970 Neun vierzehn
My '70 was black painted steel. It became rusted through the years, and I replaced it with an exact duplicate from the VW parts bin. What I use on the back of the 914 was used on 1978 VW Sciroccos. The only difference, the VW part is plastic WTF.gif . Seeing as over the almost thirty years I've been closely associated with a VW dealership, I've seen dealers mount license plate brackets with a "what's ever available" attitude. If the (new)car arrives w/o a bracket (not uncommon), the service department reaches for whatever fits. I think there is probably a good deal of variation in that part.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 28 2006, 06:43 PM) *

My '70 was black painted steel. It became rusted through the years, and I replaced it with an exact duplicate from the VW parts bin. What I use on the back of the 914 was used on 1978 VW Sciroccos. The only difference, the VW part is plastic WTF.gif . Seeing as over the almost thirty years I've been closely associated with a VW dealership, I've seen dealers mount license plate brackets with a "what's ever available" attitude. If the (new)car arrives w/o a bracket (not uncommon), the service department reaches for whatever fits. I think there is probably a good deal of variation in that part.

Paul,

You're going to hate me for this.....

Our 82 Scirroco had a METAL rear plate holder! Still have it, because the subsequent owner (my neighbor) didn't like it. It's black painted metal. Guess where it came from???? Sorry.
1970 Neun vierzehn
.....whatever is in the parts bin. I'd bet that items like license plate brackets, radios, wheel/tire packages, antennae, were swapped around, substituted, and installed based on what was expedient at the time, especially during the early '70s when there seemed to be more leeway w/regards to dealer-installed bits and pieces. If you recall, that Scirocco that you purchased HAD to be dealer-traded to get what you wanted, so that's probably why it had a different bracket on it.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Jun 28 2006, 07:44 PM) *

.....whatever is in the parts bin. I'd bet that items like license plate brackets, radios, wheel/tire packages, antennae, were swapped around, substituted, and installed based on what was expedient at the time, especially during the early '70s when there seemed to be more leeway w/regards to dealer-installed bits and pieces. If you recall, that Scirocco that you purchased HAD to be dealer-traded to get what you wanted, so that's probably why it had a different bracket on it.

Uhh, ya got me there! Don't remember that. I would guess that someone was digging into the corporate archives, eh? Slow night?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Pat,
As a matter of fact, it's been rather busy. Anyway,I remember the cars you purchased. That dark red Scirocco that you bought, I personally went after it to ensure that it would meet our mutually high standards (no dings, scratches, blemishes, scuffs marks, correct equipment, inconsequential miles, etc.). The variation in such a simple item such as a metal vs. plastic license bracket 10+ years after our 914s were delivered points again to the vagaries inherent in older cars.

Paulie
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 28 2006, 02:23 PM) *

Was cleaning up on my 73T today (yeah, I know a Porsche!) & noticed that the license plate holder is "cad" plated (or some such iteration of cad). Looked at my 914 plate & can't remember what its original finish was. Sometime through the years I remember stripping & painting it.

Anyone have an orig?

Semi-gloss black. I've got a freash one with a Porsche sticker still on it. No idea why I have it. Picked it up years ago when the local P/A dealer closed.
914runnow
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 29 2006, 05:31 AM) *

Anyone have an orig?

Semi-gloss black. I've got a freash one with a Porsche sticker still on it. No idea why I have it. Picked it up years ago when the local P/A dealer closed.

Dittoooooooooo!!!!!!!!! On above...Mine is a Euro 914 one....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 29 2006, 09:31 AM) *

Anyone have an orig?

Interesting.....
I was really hoping it was plated, as I'm looking for an excuse to get another tound of parts back to factory. I have a number of parts that have been polished, so the original cad plating, which was shot, is gone. Did a bunch, need to do more.

Thanks for the info. I'll respray mine in black - it's in primer now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.