Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how much HP?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chogokin
Got another question for all you power junkies out there. How much HP would you expect to be in a stock '75 2.0 converted over to a weber 38/38? confused24.gif Nothing has been done to this engine besides pulling off the FI and bolting on the carb system/ .009 dizzy. I know factory with the FI it is supposed to rate 100 but not sure what the conversion did for it...
Allan
It's all in the combo.

You'll be running a FI cam with carbs so I don't know if you'll se any increase at all..

Maybe even lose some.
Chogokin
heh heh good thing it's not mine biggrin.gif , oh wait S@#$ stromberg.gif I have carbs and FI cam too... DAMN!! its ok mine looks damn good even if it is weak... confused24.gif the engine that is...
Bleyseng
A 75 2.0l with FI has about 88hp so with a progressive maybe 84-85hp.
Rand
How much HP would you expect to be in a stock '75 2.0 converted over to a weber 38/38? Nothing has been done to this engine besides pulling off the FI and bolting on the carb system/ .009 dizzy

With a stock motor and stock cam... I would guesstimate swapping FI to carbs would result in about a 4% LOSS in performance and mileage. Along with some other general running quality degradation across temp variations.

Why the carb conversion?
nebreitling
i'd think that you wouldn't lose any peak hp with a well-tuned carb, but the area under the power curve would be less. anyway, a well-worn 75 2.0 with stock exhaust, carbs, etc., is prolly more like 80hp. not so fast.
TROJANMAN
original exhaust, or back dated?

you could gain another 5 or 7 horses by backdating
Chogokin
I think he is running a monza exhaust on it, and it is a sync barrel carb not a progressive. I guess he was having some major trouble with his FI system and opted to go with something he knew better.
Joe Ricard
Pensacola!!!!
Hey do you know Barry? He has a nice red 72 with a 2056cc D-jet car.

I think we are planning an Autocross in Dothan sometime soon. Why don't you join us.
Get a ride in the Red Neck Racer.
Chogokin
Yeah, I know Barry, that is a nice little ride he has there, hoping once I get my paint on I can say the same thing... Hope someday I can get together with you guys but life is a bit hectic right now. Getting knee surgery on wednesday so probably won't even be able to drive my little toy for a couple weeks, sad I know.. I won't even get into the whole house buying/ moving thing...
Joe Ricard
Barry's car is soo nice. He thought it would be fun to race me once.
his car is so nice........
I will be making a run out that way probably late July Early August so maybe then. I have to bring his wheels back.
Joe Bob
Monza exhaust will have rusted either a hole or accumulated enuff crap to choke it down to less hp than a VW bug with asthma.....
Chogokin
your right little red is quite nice, I hope before too long to have my car in that condition, I'm at kind of a stand still right now out of $$ but I only have a few things left to do to finish it, the biggest thing is finishing the body/ paint... I'm oh so close I can feel it! The engine is as far as it is gonna get until I drop it out and pimp it out... can't justify that right now as it was recently rebuilt... oh well
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 28 2006, 10:49 PM) *

i'd think that you wouldn't lose any peak hp with a well-tuned carb...

That's the problem, though. Any single carb setup on a 914 motor is going to be just this side of completely impossible to tune well. The long unheated intake runners will give you massive amounts of drop-out and manifold wetting, and the mixture is going to be very inconsistent.

If he goes with duals, he can probably get back up closer to the stock 88 HP...

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 29 2006, 09:21 AM) *

That's the problem, though. Any single carb setup on a 914 motor is going to be just this side of completely impossible to tune well. The long unheated intake runners will give you massive amounts of drop-out and manifold wetting, and the mixture is going to be very inconsistent.

--DD

You forgot to point out that he needs to drive in the right lane, cause the stock VW busses will want to pass .................... The Cap'n
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 29 2006, 12:24 PM) *

--DD

You forgot to point out that he needs to drive in the right lane, cause the stock VW busses will want to pass .................... The Cap'n

laugh.gif
Chogokin
Damn... this is strange, cause I had a 38/38 on my 1.7 when I got it before I went to dual 40's and even IT would pull rubber in 2nd fairly easily...
OK WTF.gif is the 75 2.0 rated at 88 or 100 hp?? the info page at the top says 100??? now I'm all messed up!! wacko.gif
OOPs NM that is the euro model... DOH!!
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 29 2006, 09:24 AM) *

--DD

UPHILL!
Chogokin
no it was downhill... on a hot day with brakefluid on the tires... but still!!
Mueller
QUOTE(Chogokin @ Jun 29 2006, 10:24 AM) *

no it was downhill... on a hot day with brakefluid on the tires... but still!!

if you are lucky you'll have the same HP as before, but chances are you won't.....driveability is going to suffer without a doubt....

a Monza muffler is not an "exhaust", it's a poorly made/designed muffler....

changing your entire exhaust (heat exchangers) to the '70 to '74 style will gain you more HP than any other bolt-on modification you can do..
Brando
To be honest, without changing the cam to be compatible with carburetors, you may lose some power over the stock 80ish HP.

BUT

If you go with early 2.0 style (in stainless even) heat exchangers, a bursch or triad muffler, properly tuned weber/dellorto 40s (44s with a web 86-series grind cam), and a 494 webcam you should net 100 HP or a little more at the crank, without changing the bore, stroke or machining the heads.

Not to mention shaving weight - which is the cheapest way to gain some acceleration.
Joe Bob
Yeah....dropping the fat chick off at the curb gives you a 10hp increase....
Andyrew
Couple choices here...

Leave it... drive it.... tune it... keep tuning it for years.. You wont get more hp than duals.

Put duals on it, Carbs wont give you a good full range of optimized a/f ratio... you'll loose hp in area's and loose fuel economy in all areas.

Put a cam in it for dual 44's. put an exhaust on it, or take your car to the muffler shop, tell them to put 2 turbo mufflers in place of the current mufflers (or spring for flowmasters *yuc* or magnaflows *now your talkin*) You'll probably be about 100hp when its all good and tuned.

Put the FI on it, get some fuel economy and some hp...
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Chogokin @ Jun 28 2006, 08:45 PM) *

Got another question for all you power junkies out there. How much HP would you expect to be in a stock '75 2.0 converted over to a weber 38/38? confused24.gif Nothing has been done to this engine besides pulling off the FI and bolting on the carb system/ .009 dizzy. I know factory with the FI it is supposed to rate 100 but not sure what the conversion did for it...

a '75 2.0 didn't have 100hp to start with...it had 88hp; so, a 75 with a progrssive carb will be more like in the 75-80hp range... unless the cam was changed and "optimized" for a carb... if it was changed, it may be close to the 88hp. a 009 isn't increasing the hp either...

but even 75-80 hp is a lot of fun in a 914... so you don't have to change anything to have a good time.
Joe Bob
Make sure to use the A/C all the time, too....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.