Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installed needle bearings up front
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I installed the needle bearings up front and they are a clear improvement over the Polly-bronze I had. The Polly's were a big improvement from factory as well. I know its a big investment for most (me included) but well worth the money.
lapuwali
This kind of thing is turning into a tease, since these can't be purchased anymore.

I'm thinking that we need to see if we can convince Mueller to make some, or work some deal with Tarrett so they make some, or something...

I'm now convinced to buy a set.
drive-ability
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 28 2006, 07:44 PM) *

This kind of thing is turning into a tease, since these can't be purchased anymore.

I'm thinking that we need to see if we can convince Mueller to make some, or work some deal with Tarrett so they make some, or something...

I guess I got the last set from Tarrett I'm not sure but they are nice. I am installing the rears tonight. I think we could get Mueller to make more If they are all pre-paid, a guy has to have the working capital to make a big run. welder.gif
Series9
I'm going to need them all-around.

I'll prepay.
Mueller
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 28 2006, 07:44 PM) *

Drawings are going out this week for new quotes, I picked up tubing for a few rear kits today as well as a few hundred dollars in tooling.... smash.gif
bondo
It's obviously too early for price quotes.. but could I get a ballpark? Perhaps how much the last runs ended up costing? I haven't done any bushings yet, so it's not too late. smile.gif
campbellcj
FWIW, Shine Racing used to sell a version of these. They were like double Mike's $ though...

If a new production run does take place, I'd be interested in a rear set.
anthony
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jun 28 2006, 07:40 PM) *

I installed the needle bearings up front and they are a clear improvement over the Polly-bronze I had. The Polly's were a big improvement from factory as well. I know its a big investment for most (me included) but well worth the money.

I'm just curious why you upgraded again after installing the poly bronze?

markb
Drawings are going out this week for new quotes, I picked up tubing for a few rear kits today as well as a few hundred dollars in tooling.... smash.gif
[/quote]
clap56.gif
Chris Pincetich
uh oh - are we going to start another group buy thread soon??! idea.gif
Does Mike need an assistant or will he just farm it all out? idea.gif
Can you make me some roller-bearing shift rod bushings? smile.gif
Can I replace my pedal bushings with my old skateboard wheel bearings? blink.gif
...inquiring minds want to know!! happy11.gif
beerchug.gif
Midtowner

And, what is the perceived improvement percentage going from stock to Polybronze? Thanks. smile.gif
drive-ability
QUOTE(anthony @ Jun 28 2006, 09:14 PM) *

I'm just curious why you upgraded again after installing the poly bronze?

I was going to get needles for the rear and thought there was only one set (rears) left. A buyer must have pulled out, so I went for the fronts as well. The Polly's were a clear up grade but the needles are better. I'm only looking to improve ride quality as this is a street car.
drive-ability
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Jun 28 2006, 10:34 PM) *

And, what is the perceived improvement percentage going from stock to Polybronze? Thanks. smile.gif

I felt the difference was well worth the price using polly-bronze and would have been happy with them. I am really trying to improve ride quality, and there was a clear improvement. The needles just took it to another level. I drive this car everyday, so a softer, smoother ride is a big deal to me. I would say the Polly's improved the front end ride about 30% but its hard to say.
bondo
icon_bump.gif

so how much have these things cost in the past?
drive-ability
QUOTE(bondo @ Jun 29 2006, 12:34 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

bondo, hows the shifter working????? driving.gif

I paid $800 for the set of 4, front and rear. Lots of money to me but I am looking for the best ride quality. If it were just for handling I would have passed on them. I am still looking at installing air struts as well but thats down the road a year or so.
nocones
I'll be in for front and rear as well. Just say the word Mr. Mueller!
Brad Roberts
$800 was a good price. We where selling them for $850.

I can install them here in SD if anyone wants some done down here. It takes about 6 hours. I can put your alignment back to the way it was prior to starting or add another 2hours for alignment.

I'm doing a rear Poly bronze install tonight.

B
brer
so you spent 500 on poly bronze.. and then another 800 on needle?
plus install time.

1400+ on bushings.

blink.gif
bondo
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jun 29 2006, 01:13 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

I paid $800 for the set of 4, front and rear. Lots of money to me but I am looking for the best ride quality. If it were just for handling I would have passed on them. I am still looking at installing air struts as well but thats down the road a year or so.

Heh, shifter is still in a pile in the garage.. Lack of time, energy and money has stalled that project. Hopefully when I sell my MG (again) at least the money situation will improve (possibly allowing me to get Mueller bearings).

What are air struts?
drive-ability
QUOTE(bondo @ Jun 29 2006, 06:35 PM) *

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jun 29 2006, 01:13 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

Heh, shifter is still in a pile in the garage.. Lack of time, energy and money has stalled that project. Hopefully when I sell my MG (again) at least the money situation will improve (possibly allowing me to get Mueller bearings).

What are air struts?

I spent $240 on the Polly-bronze and they are still in good shape, having said that its still a big chunk of cash.

Bondo,
The struts would surely have to be custom fit, the 7000 units are only 4 inches in diameter so I think they would work in front. Its been done to a 911 a guy who used to come around the Renegade forum. Haven't herd from him in a year or so.

I just finish installing the rears and went for a road test, the needles work so freely the hole car is now sprung differently. Its like I have 25% softer springs. I really like the outcome.

Air Struts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.