Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The season is upon us
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
The disadvantage to working on old cars of any kind, especially ones that were stored for any length of time, is that they are homes to many undesirable guests. This is the second one I found on Jared's car in two days. The bad part about it is that his little brother was working in the wheelwell stripping the undercoating off all weekend and he is lucky he was not bitten. I was last year when working on Joe's car and it is not very pleasant. Just watch out when you are out working on the car.
KaptKaos
Stupid bugs. Don't they know its a targa, not a spyder?
Allan
Yikes!!!! ohmy.gif

I hate spiders.

Even the ones that aren't poisonous...
Root_Werks
We get the Wolfe spiders up here often mistaken for Brown Recluse spiders. My house is an arachnid friendly enviroment. I like 'em, one of the most efficient killing machines nature has ever created.

Just take her and move her into your garden or bushes or something. Let her get to work and keep the insect population under control. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
When we moved into our house last year, we had a big black widow infestatin in the basement. This suprised me, as the house is in PA, and I had not seen those buggers since I had lived in Modesto CA 14 years earlier.

Erin and I noticed them when we looked at the house before we bought it. I did not tell her what they were till after closing. One of our cats ate one (she hunts spiders) and got really sick. Then I reenacted WWI in my basement with a massive gas attack to kill the Widows. So far they have not returned.

I like spiders in my house. Just not the shiney black kind.
Zach
watsonrx13
Wow, how appropriate. I have my shop at the b-inlaws, where he has his wood working shop. On Monday he was bitten by a brown recluse on his leg. It has swollen up and he's in a lot of pain. BTW, he's allgeric to penacillin and ibuprofen...

-- Rob
Joe Ricard
Rob, I suggest you go drive your car. REALLY fast. that'll get rid of the spiders.
Well maybe not but it sure will be fun.
double-a
spiders are great, and there are very few that can actually do serious harm to humans.

i smiled the other day when i saw a relatively small spider scurrying away with a yellowjacket in its clutches.

~a
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 29 2006, 10:13 AM) *

We get the Wolfe spiders up here often mistaken for Brown Recluse spiders. My house is an arachnid friendly enviroment. I like 'em, one of the most efficient killing machines nature has ever created.

Just take her and move her into your garden or bushes or something. Let her get to work and keep the insect population under control. biggrin.gif

damn wolf spiders will scare the F out of you... they get big enough that they surprise you... I've gotten up and found one in my shoe after I already put it on... scred the PISS outta me...

hate spiders... even watching the NGC specials about them gives me the heebie jeebies...

mstein95
[/quote]
hate spiders... even watching the NGC specials about them gives me the heebie jeebies...
[/quote]

agree.gif ar15.gif
jhadler
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jun 29 2006, 07:27 AM) *

Wow, how appropriate. I have my shop at the b-inlaws, where he has his wood working shop. On Monday he was bitten by a brown recluse on his leg. It has swollen up and he's in a lot of pain. BTW, he's allgeric to penacillin and ibuprofen...

-- Rob

Are you sure it was a Brown Recluse?

Rob, he really should see a doc about that. Recluse venom is -nasty-. the swelling and pain is not an infection, it's the venom destroying the surrounding tissue. The longer it sits there, the more damage it does. Really, get him to see a doc today. Most likley they'll irrigate and probably excise some tissue, but that venom is bad news. Not that I'd want a bite from either, but I'd have to choose the widow over a recluse if I had to.

The necrotic wound from a recluse bite can be really gross, and can take a very long time to heal (weeks to months). See a doc.

-Josh2
J P Stein
I'm currently waiting for the pain & swelling on my right heel to go down.
I was prolly asleep when the sumbitch bit me.....some spider, I figure.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jun 29 2006, 06:54 AM) *

Stupid bugs. Don't they know its a targa, not a spyder?

agree.gif happy11.gif laugh.gif av-943.gif
Toast
Such a beautiful creature, but it creeps me out!

Thanks alot Scottie!
icon8.gif
Aaron Cox
light it on fire
Bruce Allert
I watched a wolf spider come out of the couch cushion next to my cat... made the cat's eyes buldge! Then he jumped off the couch. alfred.gif I squished it & heard it go crunch. It was a big sumbitch.

Wolf spiders are the biggest problem for our dogs in the kennels. They get bit & swell a lot. Makes them limp if it's their foot.

I've heard of a few people losing an apendage or dieing from a recluse bite if not treated quickly.

.......b
SLITS
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 29 2006, 11:33 AM) *

light it on fire

The ...ahem.....car or the bug?
mharrison
A quote from one of my favorite movies:

Jimmy McGinty: A real man admits his fears. That's what I'm asking you to do here tonight. Who wants to go first?
Clifford Franklin: I'm afraid of spiders, Coach.

Jimmy: I mean, what scares you ON THE FIELD?
Clifford: Spiders on the field?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have two scars on my back from Brown Recluse bites. I was 8 when it happened. It is 28 years later. Still there.....
zymurgist
Look, he's crawling up my wall
Black and hairy, very small
Now he's up above my head
Hanging by a little thread

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Now he's dropped on to the floor
Heading for the bedroom door
Maybe he's as scared as me
Where's he gone now, I can't see

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly
Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly

There he is wrapped in a ball
Doesn't seem to move at all
Perhaps he's dead, I'll just make sure
Pick this book up off the floor

Boris the spider
Boris the spider

Creepy, crawly
Creepy, crawly

He's come to a sticky end
Don't think he will ever mend
Never more will he crawl 'round
He's embedded in the ground

Boris the spider
Boris the spider
JPB
I had a wolf spider so big that when I went to stab it, with a knife, it moved the knife out of the way. It was as big as your two pointers and thumbs together. Once impailed and attached to the base board, I figured it would dry up when I came back home a few days later. Got home and I guess the wild lizards had it for lunch; to bad. The fangs were 1/4 long and made a crunching noise in the wood when stabed into the base board.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 29 2006, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jun 29 2006, 07:27 AM) *

-- Rob

Are you sure it was a Brown Recluse?

Rob, he really should see a doc about that. Recluse venom is -nasty-. the swelling and pain is not an infection, it's the venom destroying the surrounding tissue. The longer it sits there, the more damage it does. Really, get him to see a doc today. Most likley they'll irrigate and probably excise some tissue, but that venom is bad news. Not that I'd want a bite from either, but I'd have to choose the widow over a recluse if I had to.

The necrotic wound from a recluse bite can be really gross, and can take a very long time to heal (weeks to months). See a doc.

-Josh2
agree.gif Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment icon8.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.