Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Germans should be ashamed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Thack
I replaced my master cylinder last night and I could not believe how difficult they made the plumbing of lines and splitters and feed lines. What was the purpose of all that? To develop a super race of mechanics? happy11.gif
Bleyseng
agree.gif

av-943.gif
tat2dphreak
agree.gif maybe they used genetically engineered freaks with tiny hands and über muscles...
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jun 29 2006, 02:06 PM) *

agree.gif maybe they used genetically engineered freaks with tiny hands and über muscles...

Yea I have no problems wit dat.
It helps to take the resevoir off it's mount and pull the slack from the bottom. Then the rubber fittings are easier to wrestle.

You know what they say about guys with little hands and feet.

They wear little gloves and little shoes w00t.gif
URY914
Easier to pull the f-ing tank.
Cap'n Krusty
As jobs go, I never considered a 914 master cylinder replacement all that difficult. Having done a bunch of 'em over the last 33 years, maybe I just got used to it. Now a 964 valve adjustment's pretty far up there on the ol' degree of difficulty chart. The Cap'n
tat2dphreak
it was a PITA the first time... after that, I loosened up the rubber grommets some and lubed them with a little brake fluid... then it went smoothly the next time
Matt Romanowski
It's even more fun when you are putting in a 23mm master cylinder.....
Thack
I won't say it's the hardest thing I've ever done, but the fact there is no space and the plumbing goes every which way... they didn't make it easy on the replacement. I think it could have been done a lot better, but that's what you get with a parts bin car.
GeorgeRud
I always assumed that the grommeted fill lines to the master cylinder were bench assembled, then the lines were fed up through the body when the cars were assembled. Either that or they did found some genetically altered freak with long, thin, very strong fingers to pop those grommets in place.
John
I always put the gromets in the MC, and lube them with brake fluid and then push the lines into them.

They will "pop" into place and the weight of the MC can be supported by the feed lines while the MC is then positioned on the pedal cluster studs.

I get the nuts started and then start attaching the hard lines.

Removal is opposite:

remove hard lines
remove mount nuts
pull feed lines from MC (destroying the grommets in the process)

Not hard, just a PITA unless you have the car up on a lift.

I wish you the best of luck.

Brando
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 29 2006, 01:21 PM) *
As jobs go, I never considered a 914 master cylinder replacement all that difficult. Having done a bunch of 'em over the last 33 years, maybe I just got used to it. Now a 964 valve adjustment's pretty far up there on the ol' degree of difficulty chart. The Cap'n

I've done it in my dad's driveway -- oh the bloody knuckles and cut fingers. But I did it!

I am fairly certain Porsche's philosophy on 964s and 993s for engine maintainance is (like mine) drop the engine first, then do necessary service... lol2.gif
Thack
It's all installed and bled. I'll bleed it again soon. I can't believe all those damn bubbles. Then I'm going to look at why it's not stopping very well. I rebuilt one caliper. I'll rebuild all of them as time permits. I probably just need some good pads and to turn the rotors.
nbscooters
i've changed half of dozen of those without any problems. the pain in the ass part about this chunty brake system is replacing the rear brake lines without a lift.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.