Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting rocker geometry
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michaelmoo
I read the article in Hot VW that is about the RAT 2270 build up. It talks a lot abot rocker geometry and I was wondering more about it. I know it is important and understand why you want to do it but was wondering if there is a good article or info on actually doing it. I found the following info:

http://www.superbeetles.com/performance101/aug.htm

Any comments? Additions? Corrections?

Thanks,
Mike
yeahmag
That about does it. Expect it to take a VERY long time the first time you do it. Lots of beer and calming thoughts... You can do it.

-Aaron
URY914
That looks like a good write up. When I was stting my pushrod length it was alot of slow work and hard to discribe to someone unless they do it. I was on the phone witrh Jake half-dozen times before I really got it. I never found a good step by step proceedure. Maybe that's it.

Paul

michaelmoo
Thanks for the replies. I am planing on getting a 2270 kit from him and was just doing my homework. I've rebuilt engines before, but they were just stock rebuilds. I know Jake was writting a set of manuals a time ago, but that got put on the back burner. Maybe he will now becasue of the Hot VW exposure.
scotty b
sad.gif Unfortunately for us it seems Jake may have left. After his last posting he took the usual B.S. from some tire kicking whiners that can't afford his product, deleted the whole thread and hasn't been back. I can't say that I blame him either. He has put up with a lot more crap than I would have! I'm sure though that he still supports our community and is more than willing to help those who appreciate what he does and don't mind paying for good quality products.
Brad Roberts
He is in the "wings" monitoring from above.

All of us take a certain amount of shit from people and need a break from time to time.

This is Jakes "brake". We will see what happens next!

B
Aaron Cox
there are 3 variables...

aduster depth,
pushrod length,
rocker shims

took a few hours with help of joe sharp to get mine done....
scotty b
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 30 2006, 03:04 PM) *

He is in the "wings" monitoring from above.

All of us take a certain amount of shit from people and need a break from time to time.

This is Jakes "brake". We will see what happens next!

B
I can certainly empathize with that. What sets me off is when I price a paint job for someone and get the response "damn, why so much? I can get a paint job from Maaco for $500.00" That immediatly sets me off into gonard kickin mode mad.gif
DNHunt
Aaron

Those are the variables

The goal is maximun attainable lift with the conditions that the adjuster parallel with valve stem at half lift and enough threads so you can adjust lash.

Easy enough but strictly trial and error and therefore time consuming.

Damn hard thing to explain but easier to see

Dave
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jun 30 2006, 05:46 PM) *

Aaron

Those are the variables

The goal is maximun attainable lift with the conditions that the adjuster parallel with valve stem at half lift and enough threads so you can adjust lash.

Easy enough but strictly trial and error and therefore time consuming.

Damn hard thing to explain but easier to see

Dave

werd...

at half lift you want the valve adjuster parrallel to the valve stem....
mark when it opens, when it closes, divide that radial distance by two, then you just shim and play with the pushrod tool until you get it right smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.