Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does a failing CV sound like?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike373
Out of nowhere I have a strange sound coming from the passenger side rear area. The sound is a toc toc toc toc toc on acceleration.....and a tic tic tic tic on decceleration. Does this sound like a failing CV joint, and do they go suddenly like that??

Thanks,
Mike
Joe Bob
Clicks and thumps when turning......when getting towards end of life it will make noises in a straight line. Best to repair prior to failure....
Air_Cooled_Nut
Sounds like it to me, that's the sound they make. It's the big ol' BB's in there rattling/dropping in the cage.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Here's a good test:
Grab axle. Push/pull it up and down. If it moves then CV is bad. It's okay for the axle to move in/out (back-n-forth between tire and tranny).
nomore9one4
I believe I have this same problem. When I start off I hear a clunk like when a universal joint would go bad. confused24.gif Now I just need to find one and get the time to replace it.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jun 29 2006, 01:11 PM) *

It's okay for the axle to move in/out (back-n-forth between tire and tranny).

But it's not OK if the trans output shaft moves in and out...the thing the CV is bolted toon the trans.
mike373
The sound is pretty damn loud too. Almost sounds like the brake caliper is rubbing on the wheel....... but it's not...I already checked that. Gotta pull the wheel when I get some time.

Mike
Eric_Shea
Clunk, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click, clunk, grrrrrr, grrrrrrrrr, click, click...
GWN7
Check your CV bolts. The toc toc, tic tic noise could be the the plates flapping around. (insert Dr. Evil CV bolts plug if I'm right) smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.