Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT SmartCar is coming to the US
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I got an email from SmartCar.

They have finally announced that they are coming to the US with three models in 2008...

Seems a bit far off, but Im sure it will take some time to get the dealers up and running.

I personally hope they bring the little roadster...
think of a fun roadster that can get 60 mpg....finally some brains...

Rich
nomore9one4
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 29 2006, 09:31 AM) *

I got an email from SmartCar.

They have finally announced that they are coming to the US with three models in 2008...

Seems a bit far off, but Im sure it will take some time to get the dealers up and running.

I personally hope they bring the little roadster...
think of a fun roadster that can get 60 mpg....finally some brains...

Rich

That little roadster is pretty sweet.We seen it at the Detroit Auto show last year. Believe it or not I think it looks very similiar to the 914 drooley.gif
Toast
Yea right. rolleyes.gif I'm sure the US will come up with some reason not to allow that car over here by then. dry.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Toast @ Jun 29 2006, 12:54 PM) *

Yea right. rolleyes.gif I'm sure the US will come up with some reason not to allow that car over here by then. dry.gif

Yup,

I seen a smart car the other day. Little bitty thing but the claim is very good "roll cage" like uni-body.

I want one STRIPPED no nothing. sorta like my 914. make it light and get 70 MPG. sawzall-smiley.gif
MBowman325
Hey, that Roadster is sorta neat! With the top down it does look a bit like a 914 form the side. 13k Pounds, so thats what, ~26k USD? Wonder what sorta hike importing them for sale here would have....
smdubovsky
I've always thought the tiny ones were neat. Add a turbo+suspension and it would terrorize the DC beltway and autoxs.

Though, I read in one of the renerables magazines they will be the four-for-four SUV looking models and not the little ones;(

Brit cars are usually far more expensive than their US or german versions (Im guessing VAT and other stuff), so it may be pretty cheap here.
Brad Roberts
Stephen,

you met/hung out with a *certain* German girl who has some exeperience in the Smart Cars: clap56.gif drooley.gif

She will shoot me for reposting this pic.. biggrin.gif

turboman808
The roadster is nice! Heck I would even consider it as my daily!
Bruce Allert
Ya! I want one. Just watched a movie on the roadster.
Roadster Movie

They also had this write up.

Don't be misled by the unpromising-looking 0-60mph time (11.5 seconds), because Smarts are always hamstrung in their on-paper performance by the sluggish getaway. That's down to the transmission, which makes things worse by its leisurely gearshifts. There's quite a lot of turbo lag, too, typical of a small turbocharged engine asked to deliver a big output (it's an impressive 117bhp per litre). In practice you learn to anticipate the lag and press the accelerator in advance of needing thrust, but the engine can be frustratingly slow to gather momentum after a gearchange. In fact, it provides surprisingly strong pulling power, the engine is very smooth, with a deep, sporty and slightly Porsche-like exhaust note, and you'll be surprised every time you hit the rather low 6000rpm rev limiter because the engine sounds as though it's revving at half the speed, as three-cylinder engines do. Ultimately the Roadster is slower than its obvious rivals (MG TF, MX5), but not disastrously so.

....b
DonTraver
Got a ride in one last year in Stuttgart, nice. I'd buy one. I won't comment on what I think of SUV's.

Later, Don
Andyrew
Brad... "porsche exhaust note"?

You agree?
turboman808
OH I want this one drooley.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CxJaGG1CobI&...mart%20roadster
G e o r g e
i'm in for this 83mph demon

burnout.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.