Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI to carb question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
I'm going to look at another 914 on Sunday. It started as a 74 2.0, but then due to a knock, the engine was replaced with a 1.8, with a carb on top.

What are the right questions to ask, and assuming a "normal" amount of rust for an east coast car, what would it's value be (hard question, I know).

I'm thinking that to go from FI to a single carb on this car, they should have changed the cam and heat exchangers - is that correct? and if they didn't, what would be the outcome (loss of power I assume).

Any ballpark on the cost of buying a 2.0L with FI to drop in?

I'm thinking this would probably be a $4500 car, as long as it looks great inside and out.
Joe Bob
3-5K....depending on condition....plus installation costs.
terrymason
he's got the original, but threw away the FI. I guess I'd need to have it overhauled, then buy all the FI stuff.
jimkelly
or get a fi system for the 1.8 or get dual carbs though it probably has the fi cam.

the difference between 1.7 1.8 2.0 is not so dramatic - not enough to swap out a good motor for one of slightly greater displacement.

jim

terrymason
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 29 2006, 10:17 AM) *

or get a fi system for the 1.8 or get dual carbs though it probably has the fi cam.

the difference between 1.7 1.8 2.0 is not so dramatic - not enough to swap out a good motor for one of slightly greater displacement.

jim

Got an estimate for a dual carb setup? Maybe 600 worth of parts, and 500 labor?

Also, if it has a FI cam, will that make a big difference?
lapuwali
New IDFs are about $1K for the set. I doubt that includes manifolds, linkage, etc. Used IDFs are about $250 for the carbs, then another $300 or thereabouts for new manifolds, linkage, etc. Etc. includes a new fuel pump, and you might as well get new hose, too. I have no idea what labor would run. It's about an afternoon's worth of work.

terrymason
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jun 29 2006, 12:28 PM) *

New IDFs are about $1K for the set. I doubt that includes manifolds, linkage, etc. Used IDFs are about $250 for the carbs, then another $300 or thereabouts for new manifolds, linkage, etc. Etc. includes a new fuel pump, and you might as well get new hose, too. I have no idea what labor would run. It's about an afternoon's worth of work.

Does IDF stand for a brand of carb, or a type (search will not let me look for a 3 letter word )
Dave_Darling
That's a particular type of Weber carb. Weber 40IDF, most likely.

--DD
lapuwali
IDF is the carb you use for "dual carbs".
type47
not 4500 for a car w/replaced 2.0 with a 1.8 with a carb.... if you buy it for 4500, you will really be upside down in the car if you then buy a 2.0 or buy 1.8 FI stuff. not that a 914 is an investment but i'd bet you could get a more correct car for 4500. just my opinion which is worth .01.

centreville huh? you can come look at my 74 1.8..... in vienna

i don't think they necessarily had to change the cam and HE for the carbs. most often the case is the owner couldn't fix the FI and slapped on a carb. the single carb makes me think that's the case even more.

i've seen drop in 2.0's in the 1200 range.
lotus_65
there are differences in carb linkage setups too, which makes a difference in how easy they are to tune and keep there. (mine's from pmo [they do idf setups too], and i get complements)
that said, i wouldn't go carbs again. they look cool and sound cool, but considering i just street my car, i wish i had one of the slick replacement fi setups available these days.
paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.