Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: needle bearings / thrust value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I am installing the rear needle bearings and am wondering about the amount of torque applied to the two retaining nuts. How tight to you go? Basically how do you set the thrust?
Brad Roberts
Torque them to the stock settings. Nothing more. Make damn sure you torque the 3 bolts holding the alignment shims when your are done also!

I install and tighten the outside nut to the "cup" that bolts to the chassis (for the shims) I slide everything up into place and install one of the 3 bolts that the alignment shims SLIDE on. One them passes through the shim.. the other two allow the shim to slide into place. Intall the one that allows you to add shims later. This holds everything in place until you can get the nut installed on the "ear" side of the equation. I then swing the control arm up in the rear and slide the shock mount "bolt" through the control arm hole.

Voila.

One note: the outside cup will want to hit on the side valence when you start back together. Put the outside end of the control arm up into the area near the valence and then stab the cross shaft into the ear.

B
drive-ability
Brad,
Thanks for the info, I have had the outer support slip and don't ever want to feel that at 80 mph again.

Have a good 4th
John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.