Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone with a wevo 915 hooked up their speedo?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
I pulled my tranny sidecover off and the emitter ring is in place (flipped) and I'm curious about the speedo sensor and how close it has to be to the emitter ring to work. I'm hoping I can just fabricate a bracket to hold the sensor on the ouside of the case. The factory location (on the other side) provides a recess to set the sensor into the case further.

I just want to get this figured out before commiting to bolting my tranny in this weekend. If I can add a bracket later then I'm good to go. If I need to machine the side cover to recess the sensor, then I need to wait till I get a sensor and do the machine work. Also, there isn't much meat on the side cover to allow it to be recessed and it would have to lose at least on of the ribs.

If someone has been there, done that........I'd apprecaite some insight??

Oh yeah and what year sensor did you use??? (match to speedo or don't care and match it to the 3.6 wiring connector?)
dekman
Wevo now makes a new side cover with the speedo hole in the correst spot for the flipped R&P. About $325.....You are converting to electric speedo right? You can see the new cover in this photo...... Also, Windrush(Wevo) carries this part but it is new and not yet shown....so call them. Good luck....this 915 upgrade is costing more than I expected! idea.gif
GeorgeRud
We dremeled the stock side cover to fit the sensor, but it was a PIA. Really, if there is a side cover with the necessary opening, I would just go with it. It's only money!
East coaster
Nice...Wevo now makes what I need. It never pays to be bleeding edge! I see they now either anodize or powder coat their casting as well, mine is raw aluminum.

George........Did you just create a flat spot with the dremel??
GeorgeRud
We were able to mount the sensor between two of the stiffening ribs after dremeling some material, but it was a pain to get the spot thin enough to get a good signal from the mounted magnets. We then drilled small holes in the adjacent ribs to safety wire the sensor in place. I used the sensor that is about the size of a quarter in diameter, and it works fine now but took quite a bit of fiddling with. If the WEVO cover was available back then, I would have definately gone that way.
wbergtho
For future reference, contact CA Motorsports in Lake Havasu, AZ and ask Bobby Hart to modify your original sidecover to accept a speedo sensor. I don't think he'd charge anywhere near what WEVO wants.
Aaron Cox
but.. but... billet looks cooler!
East coaster
George, Thanks for the info. I'm ready to put my motor/tranny in the car so I'll either wait til my first tranny oil change and mill a spot for it or if I have a couple of extra bucks around I'll order the Wevo cover. It's going to be a street car, so I really want a functional speedo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.