Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What SCCA class am I?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Stieve
I have a Stock 73 1.7L 914 with an Autopower race roll bar. Everything is stock at this point, I was goint to add the factory sway bars, and Poly bushings, and perhaps Ferodo pads, It have Rivera wheels on it, and was considering Cookie cutter wheels depending on what size fits, adn 5 lug conversion.
Thanks in advance
Stieve
brant
auto x or wheel to wheel?

jhadler
I don't know about wheel to wheel, maybe ITC? Not sure.

For autox, it depends...

Do you want to fallow the letter of the rule, and be 100% legal? If so, that 5-lug conversion is gonna bump you way up. SM2 or one of the prepared classes. However, if that's ALL you've got that isn't stock (roll bars are legal in all classes), then you could probably just run in E-Stock so long as you're still running skinny wheels. If you've got wider wheels (especially if you flared), then it'll be hard to get away with running stock at all. For the most part, no one will care much if you have one single minor mod that bumps you out of E-Stock unless you start winning...

Another option might be to run STS-2, but again, the 5-lug conversion is technically not legal.

For local events, I doubt it matters. Either E-Stock or STS-2 depending on which you prefer (STS-2 requires a treadwear rating of 140 or greater for the tires, E-Stock allows any DOT rated tire, incuding DOT race tires)...

-Josh2
Dominic L
For autocross (Solo as the SCCA calls it), all stock 914's run in c stock against miata's, mr2's etc. I was a bit surprised too because of the hp disadvantage sad.gif

Go here for all the rules:

http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/2006_solo_rules.pdf

Open appendix a, click stock, and scroll down to page 168.
Dave-O
agree.gif ALL 4 cyl 914's are in CS. STS2 seems like a better place for a 1.7L. You get to do almost all the suspension stuff you want plus wider wheels.
Stieve
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Jun 29 2006, 07:44 PM) *

agree.gif ALL 4 cyl 914's are in CS. STS2 seems like a better place for a 1.7L. You get to do almost all the suspension stuff you want plus wider wheels.

So who classes you? Is it on inspection?
Dave-O
SCCA Solo 2 is a self policing system. You are responsible for classing yourself and making sure your car is legal for the class. The event officials could care less if your car is legal, they have more important things to worry about. Fellow compeditors are allowed to protest illegal car modifications and improper car classification. There is more information on how this works in the rulebook (which can be very confusing but has all the information you need).

Go here to download the rulebook for free.

http://www.scca.com/Solo/Index.asp?IdS=0C2...=050|070&~=

Just post back if you have any more questions, we are all happy to answer them.

I'm off to the SCCA national tour event in Milwaukee!! driving.gif
Joe Ricard
Places 914's run in SCCA Autocross
914-6 B stock
914-4 all C Stock
914 with suspension and carbs and wheels ignition. D street Prepared
914-6 with above Hell I don't know ASP ????????
914 with hopped up motor big ass wheels suspension no fiberglass lids SM-2
914 with suspension and 7" wheels and strat tires STS2
914-6 Like JP's fiberglass everything F prepared
914-4 like mine X prepared not much that isn't legal (under prepared but so what).
Stieve
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 30 2006, 06:19 PM) *

914-6 B stock
914-4 all C Stock
914-4 like mine X prepared not much that isn't legal (under prepared but so what).

So a Stock 914 with drilled 914 rotors for 5 lug is what 914-4 C Stock?
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Stieve @ Jun 30 2006, 10:43 PM) *

914-6 B stock
914-4 all C Stock

So a Stock 914 with drilled 914 rotors for 5 lug is what 914-4 C Stock?

NOPE D Street prepared. Sorry dude welcome to the world of organized (well sort of) SCCA rules.
Stock is stock. I've see at divisional events a Miata get protested because the dome light cover was missing. Yea it was a weenie protest from a guy that was losing.
The only advantage you have is nobody has seen a realy stock 914 in 20 years. If it is stock then it is probably owned by one of them consourse weenies and there ain't NO WAY he will or should AX it. Unless I tech your car, would be tough to get something by me or a fellow 914 owner that has had several of these cars apart. Technically turbo tie rods put you in Street prepared. the popular 140lb rear springs do as well. If it comes witha sway bar it has to stay.
A VIN indicating car came with a 1.7 D-jet and you swap in a 2.0L D-jet put you in street mod. Sticky point that would probably stand. early cars are lighter adding more power is unfair. You would have to do a complete year option upgrade. effectively having a 73 or later car.

Oh and Paul's car is Something MOD E Mod I think.
Dave-O
A VIN indicating car came with a 1.7 D-jet and you swap in a 2.0L D-jet put you in street mod.

Not quite...Updating/backdating is allowed in street prepared. Why do you think those '90 CSP Miatas are so fast. Early light weight chassis with a '99 1.8l.
Stieve
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Jul 2 2006, 07:15 PM) *

A VIN indicating car came with a 1.7 D-jet and you swap in a 2.0L D-jet put you in street mod.

Not quite...Updating/backdating is allowed in street prepared. Why do you think those '90 CSP Miatas are so fast. Early light weight chassis with a '99 1.8l.

Ok, I have a 73 1.7 914, with a rebuilt 1.7 bus case. Rivera wheels, and sway factory bars. So where am I and what can I do if anything? I want to do 5 lug eventually...
Thanks in advance.
Stieve
Dave-O
QUOTE(Stieve @ Jul 2 2006, 09:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave-O @ Jul 2 2006, 07:15 PM) *

Ok, I have a 73 1.7 914, with a rebuilt 1.7 bus case. Rivera wheels, and sway factory bars. So where am I and what can I do if anything? I want to do 5 lug eventually...
Thanks in advance.
Stieve

If the motor is running stock injection and the Rivera wheels have the same offset as stock, you could run in C-stock. If the motor has carbs you would be in D-Street Prepared. If just the wheels have a different size/offset you could run in DSP or STS2.

Technically the bus case could bump you into Street Mod but I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're new to this, Just keep the car as is and work on driving! It is the most important place to start. Many local regions have street tire classes, so you could just put a (relatively) cheap set of street tires on the car and not have to compete against the cars that have race tires. However, these classes can vary significantly from club to club so contact your local region.

I hope this helps.
jhadler
Joe,

The turbo tie ros and the 5-lugs are tecnically not legal untill you get to prepared. But who's gonna notice????

-Josh2
Stieve
Stock fuel injected 1.7, I was going to add Poly bushings
Dave-O
QUOTE(Stieve @ Jul 3 2006, 11:58 PM) *

Stock fuel injected 1.7, I was going to add Poly bushings

If the wheels are stock you are a C-stock car. The poly bushings will put you in STS2.
J P Stein

914-6 B stock
914-4 all C Stock

Were I to go to a National Tour event, E Mod would cause me fewer problems.
Joe Ricard

Were I to go to a National Tour event, E Mod would cause me fewer problems.
[/quote]

Or get a 200lb trunk monkey. poke.gif
bjinright
I have a 74 1.8 with carbs and I am in c stock. On the basis that the 914 did come with carbs in euro. They did ask about the size and the venturies though.
jhadler
QUOTE(bjinright @ May 14 2008, 05:10 PM) *

I have a 74 1.8 with carbs and I am in c stock. On the basis that the 914 did come with carbs in euro. They did ask about the size and the venturies though.

Well, in SCCA stock classing, a euro spec car is as good as a fully prepared racer. For stock, it's gotta be as you could have received it from the factory in the US. But if the people in you local region don't care, then it pretty much doesn't matter. But just know that a carb'd 914 is in DSP if the motor is still stock (regardless of displacement). And if pretty much anything inside the motor has been altered, look out...

-Josh2
914forme
You could also see if you have a NASA auto-x club in your region. Rules are a little easier to play in in the fact that you add one mod it will not usually bump you a class. Unless it is a set of racing slicks. But it has some 914 punishment rules in it. Driving one I understand why we get punished so hard, it does not seem fair. But guess what it is, for the most part. And all sanctioning bodies have issues in some way shape or form.

You could also run PCA where things might be a little more leanant. But in my area the driver talent for Auto-x just is not there to push me hard enough. Sorry guys your a great bunch.

And there is always run with a different Make club. Corvette guys around here put on one hell of an auto-x, but you run x-class. So I run against anything that shows up, no Corvette. Kinda fun to drop in a put a smack-down on a bunch of vettes.

Stock is stock. Bushings, big bars, big springs, wider wheels, etc.... All bump you out.

BTW, euro carbs where dual single barrels, much like some of the bus engines over here, twin solexs. 32mm venturies I think, could look that up to lazy right now.

Driver skill is where it is at, then mods. I learned more driving a 1990 miata on crappy all-seasons, then I have ever learned running my 914 with its prep. But the 914 runs way faster times. And I am not a look at me I drive a Miata kind of guy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.