Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: S.O.T.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
So someone rear ended Jes's TT. She goes to get an estimate at a shop nearby and they tell her that they will order a new rear bumper from Audi and paint match it, etc. She gets a quote and then the insurance company (of the other driver) insists on seeing the car and giving their own estimate before work is done. So they come by today and insist that they will have the shop use a replacement bumper form some other car (not brand new) if available, rather than order a new bumper.

These bumpers are made of plastic and I don't know how well it would come out if they got a bumper from a black car, painted it red, and then slapped it on. Before I call this guy and yell at him I want to know if we can insist that they use a new bumper. The insurance guy claims that they don't have to cover it, and that it would come out of our deductible through our insurance company. Is this BS or is this the way things are?

-Tony
drgchapman
Depending upon the law in your state (CA), you have the right to have any body shop of YOUR choice fix the car. Painting a plastic bumper is frequently a poor solution. Here in Oregon, we do have the right to choose. Insurance companies try to steer you to their cut rate shops. Sounds like your opposing insurance company is trying to do just that.

Tell 'em to FO.
TonyAKAVW
They aren't trying to steer us to their choice of shops, they are trying to mandate HOW the repair is done. This really seems like a way to circumvent the law about allowing me to choose where I want the work done. Whats the point of choosing where the work is done if they choose HOW its doen?

-Tony
Dr Evil
Didn't you talk to your insurance company? They should be able to help you in this matter.

As for shady, yup. You have probably seen a Caliber body shop in your area. they are owned by the insurance companies and were doing shoddy, cheap work so that the companies would keep more money (IIRC). You should be able to demand and not pay for the new bumper in CA.

Also, how the hell does the other insurance company dictate what will come out of your deductable? Call your company, this sounds like complete bull. They are supposed to make it as it was.
TravisNeff
have the claim handled by your insurance company and your insurance company will subrogate against their insurance company. That is shady that they insist on used parts.
Dr Evil
agree.gif Travis is on it.

As manny times as I have been hit (7) I have never had to go through this kind of crap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.