Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slightly Loose Steering Column?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Midtowner
I have a steering column that moves approximately 1/4" vertically and a steering shaft about 1/8". By column, I mean the column including the shaft, ignition lock and outer casing moving up and down relative to the dashboard. Doesn't seem to affect steering performance but still annoying. All steering column mounts behind the lower dashpad, all joints leading to the floor, and the the big 27mm steering wheel nut all found to be tight. Inside, I also see vertical movement within the inner bearing race as well as the whole bearing moving within the tube. Is this normal? Does yours move? Any ideas? Thanks. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Jun 29 2006, 09:13 PM) *

Is this normal?

not normal, but not uncommon either ...

a few things, first, check and double check the 4 bolts that bolt the column plate to the body. then doublecheck them again ...

the bearings that hold the assembly to the shaft can wear in two way,

- the inner race won't fit schnugg to the shaft anymore. the fix for this is a metal "sleeve" that fits around the shaft and is tapered (sp?) to slide between the shaft and inner race.

- the outer race has worn the actual casting in the housing and is a lose fit. i simply put some tape around the outer race until it fit schnugg inside the housing.

hope this helps,
smile.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
i might even go so far as to pull the 4 bolts under the steering column out and pull the column. it's an educational experience and then you can check all the way down into the column where there's another bearing/rubber thing just before the U joint.

jonwatts
I just fixed (I hope) a similar problem on GTEENER a few weeks ago. Same annoying 1/4" movement of the wheel. Turned out to be the allen head bolt (bottom left side of the colum) that holds the cover to the column and secures the front bearing Andy mentioned. In this case the threads in the column cover were stripped. I had a spare cover but there was also enough room in there to use a longer bolt with a nut.

Jon
Dr Evil
The four bolt Andy was referring to are under the column. You access them through 4 holes in the lower dash pad.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Jun 29 2006, 10:15 PM) *

it's an educational experience and then you can check all the way down into the column where there's another bearing/rubber thing just before the U joint.

agree.gif when i said "bearings" (plural) that was not a typo. there's another one at the end of things. and like jon mentioned, there's also the allen bolt that holds the outer assembly to the inner parts. towards the left/back from underneath ...

smile.gif Andy
Midtowner
Yup, I'll bet you're right. It could be the lower left allen bolt. I'll check it tomorrow. smile.gif
jonwatts
The hole on the steering column tab that the allen bolt goes through is slotted. If it will tighten you still may need to remove everything down to the bearing and make sure it's all where it needs to be.

Good luck, post your findings smile.gif
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Jun 30 2006, 12:29 AM) *

The hole on the steering column tab that the allen bolt goes through is slotted. If it will tighten you still may need to remove everything down to the bearing and make sure it's all where it needs to be.

Good luck, post your findings smile.gif

I have the same conceerns on my car. Once apart ( top half only ) I UNCOVER
that the bearing was bad. I ended up ordering one from Sunset Porsche.
The bearing had to come from Germany ( none in the this side of the pond)Should be receiving at by end of next week.... are you sitting down?

Bearing listed at $ 195.00, Sunset ( cost +10% ) sold it to me for $150.00 + shipping!!
SirAndy
QUOTE(396 @ Jun 30 2006, 06:12 AM) *

Bearing listed at $ 195.00, Sunset ( cost +10% ) sold it to me for $150.00 + shipping!!

holy cow! ohmy.gif

i better get over to EASY and have them pull me 10 or so. for $5 each ...

i'm going to be rich!
smile.gif Andy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 30 2006, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(396 @ Jun 30 2006, 06:12 AM) *

holy cow! ohmy.gif

i better get over to EASY and have them pull me 10 or so. for $5 each ...

i'm going to be rich!
smile.gif Andy

Andy,

I thought of that myself. But decided that it's one item I did not wan to mess with again.
So I went with a new bearing. Here's a few tid bits:1) it for a 6 2) the bearing will also fit early 911's and late 356's too.
The 'factory list price " all points to supply and demand:(
Joe Ricard
Well if you had an early car I coulda hooked you up.
I got two of them and no good use for either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.