Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O.T.:LED lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
icedogbill
Need a source for LEd lights and sockets
MBowman325
I need five or so of the winning Lotto numbers for here by Saturday. laugh.gif

What are you going to use them for? Digi-Key may be a good source for you. Unfortunately, my dog ate my DIgi-Key catalog a week or so after I got it in, and I've not gotten another one. You can look online, or order one, they're free and huge. There's another place at the edge of my mind, but I can't recall the name...
lapuwali
Superbright LEDS makes LED "bulbs" using std. auto bulb bases of several types. I haven't tried to use these myself, yet.
icedogbill
Going to use the lights in my third brakelight.The existing lights get way to hot and 32-Watt current draw is way to extreme.Feel as though there is a fire danger with
the existing setup.
Joe Bob
Best to buy another third brake light. Engman used to have some nice units from a Corvette.
Engman
Thanks for the plug but they be gone Tim.

M
MBowman325
I've not had much experience with LEDs in my cars. A PO put them as Dash lights and license plate lights in the Aero, and I pulled them. (Due to the nature of LEDs, I personally do not believe that they are viable replacements for gauge bulbs or applications where you expect to dimm them)

For a 3rd tail light, as a drop in bulb replacement, there should be some out there. Not sure how many bulbs your 3rd light uses, I know 1-2 seems std on my cars, but if you have a longer one that uses 4, and you're so inclined, gut your old one and build one yourself. biggrin.gif Maybe not in that order. COuld do some fun things if you went that route, maybe.

(I just looked over the site that James posted, looks like interesting stuff, and they say that their LEDs will dimm properly in a gauge cluster, so companies must be doing something different with their "bulbs" than they were several years ago.)
lapuwali
There are some LED "light bars" available in several places, which are often suitable for third brake lights. These usually use 8-12 LEDs.

I saw the comment about dimming on the Superbright site, and I'm a bit puzzled, too. I don't claim to know enough about voodoo analog electronics to explain this.

I intend to try their bulbs at some point, as a fairly low priority item on a very long project list.
Brando
I also suggest Super Bright LEDs. Only thing is, with our cars you will need a suitable electronic flasher unit, as our cars use an older heating element to trigger the switching on/off of blinking lights.
Stieve
Anyone do this? I am thinking about LED tail lights
scotty b
QUOTE("Z" @ Jun 30 2006, 08:06 AM) *

Best to buy another third brake light. Engman used to have some nice units from a Corvette.

?Interesting? side note. We had a '91 Alfa spyder in last week for some repair werk. Bone stock car with a factory3rd brake light that was identical to the Vette 3rd brakelight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.