Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dads914
Hello exeryone,

I'm moving my oil cooler to the front of my 74' 914 2.0 and want to know what size steel braided oil lines people are using?

Where my oil cooler sits now i'm using an8 steel braided lines and want to know if that is a sufficient size or if I should use an10 for such a long run (aprox. 15 feet) each way.

Thanks,
Greg
Aaron Cox
i used an -10, and otheers ahve used 8 and 12....
What pump do you have?

pics in my blog. where in socal are you?
Dads914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 30 2006, 10:17 AM) *

What pump do you have?

The stack 26mm and i'm using the spin on oil filter adapter for the oil lines.
I'm in the Los Angeles area.
Greg
Dads914
QUOTE(Dads914 @ Jun 30 2006, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 30 2006, 10:17 AM) *

What pump do you have?

The stack 26mm and i'm using the spin on oil filter adapter for the oil lines.
I'm in the Los Angeles area.
Greg

I really ment the Stock size 26mm oil pump.
Aaron Cox
humm...

i would say -8 then...

i have a 38mm pump, and coulda gone -12,

jakes sckadeck pumps are 28 and 30mm and most people use 10 with that...
BMartin914
Most would say AN-10 is good enough for a 4 but go with AN-12 if the possibility of a /6 conversion exists...

I went with AN-10 for mine. All fittings and lines from Summitt. I also have the spin-on adapter for the lines and a thermostat in my front trunk. I would also suggest you upgrade the oil pump to move the additional quantity of oil that is required for a front-mounted cooler.
Aaron Cox
ideally you want the thermostat as close to the motor as possible, so you arent circulating all the cold oil in the lines... this will give you faster warm up...

I killed 2 birds with one stone. i used a MOCAL thermostat controlled sandwich plate from racerpartswholesale.com . sandwich plate AND thermo..... less fittings, less hastle.

AA
BMartin914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 30 2006, 09:52 AM) *

ideally you want the thermostat as close to the motor as possible, so you arent circulating all the cold oil in the lines... this will give you faster warm up...

That is ideal...
Brad Roberts
I just installed -10 on a stock pump with the spin on style adapter and a 20 row Earls cooler. Tested it at ButtonWillow in 105 degree heat a few weeks back. Worked perfect.

I tell people: If you *think* that you will do a 6cyl in the future.. then run -12 lines and plan ahead so you dont have to do it twice!

If the car is staying a 4cyl for life... run -10

Just make sure you go with a good sized cooler if you plan to track the car.

B
Aaron Cox
i wish brad had chimed in before i bought my -10 LOL
Dads914
QUOTE(BMartin914 @ Jun 30 2006, 10:54 AM) *

That is ideal...

Do you guys have any pictures of your set up? shocked[1].gif
BMartin914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 30 2006, 09:17 AM) *

I may have some somewhere...
Brad Roberts
Dont bite his head off Aaron, just point him in the direction of some pics. Be nice to the newbies (dont pull a Mike Mueller on him..LOL)

We have over 8 gigs of pictures here on the site.

I suggest you attend the event tonight and Tuesday. Lots of 914's and different setups you can see.

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dads914 @ Jun 30 2006, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(BMartin914 @ Jun 30 2006, 10:54 AM) *

That is ideal...

Do you guys have any pictures of your set up? shocked[1].gif

biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
I dont run T-stats in CA on 4cyl cars or 6cyl cars. Just dont rev the piss out of it before the temps come up!

B
Dads914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 30 2006, 11:06 AM) *

Dont bite his head off Aaron, just point him in the direction of some pics. Be nice to the newbies (dont pull a Mike Mueller on him..LOL)

We have over 8 gigs of pictures here on the site.

I suggest you attend the event tonight and Tuesday. Lots of 914's and different setups you can see.

B

Where's the event tonight?
Brad Roberts
The event tonight is in Corona.

There is a thread on it at the top of this page in the "locked" area.

Welcome to the club. You've come to the right place.

welcome.png

More knowledge and experience here than any other forum in the world.

We have professional engineers/electronics/designers/accountants/CEO's

You name it. This place rocks!

B
Brad Roberts
If you can make it tonight, dont be shy. Walk up to anyone standing next to a 914 and introduce yourself. This bunch will welcome you with open arms and introduce you to the rest of the group.

Just be prepared! A lot of us have known each other for years and years. You may see friendly fire here or in public. We like to rag each other over cars and life in general. We can come across as a bunch of assholes..ha ha

ar15.gif

B
Dads914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 30 2006, 11:48 AM) *

If you can make it tonight, dont be shy. Walk up to anyone standing next to a 914 and introduce yourself. This bunch will welcome you with open arms and introduce you to the rest of the group.

Just be prepared! A lot of us have known each other for years and years. You may see friendly fire here or in public. We like to rag each other over cars and life in general. We can come across as a bunch of assholes..ha ha

ar15.gif

B

Thanks for all your input, I knew I was in the right place as soon as i found the club. I'll try to make it this evening. If I make it I will be in the very stock Yellow Teener. G
Brad Roberts
You brought something up that I would like to hear about?

How did you find us?

I'll start another thread!

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.