Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a favor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Anybody got a ball joint socket I can borrow???
Dr Evil
Its crap! Get a pipe wrench and a new castelated retainer nut (about$14)

Put anti seize on the threads of the new ball joint.
Dr Evil
Oh, and yes, I have one and it crapped out the first use. The metal was too soft that PP or their suplier made it out of.
tdgray
What size it that nut???

I'm going to be doing mine in a couple of weeks.
Dr Evil
Just order it form one of the parts houses.

$12 at Pelican
Part # 901-341-425-00-M260

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._pg4.htm#item18
Allan
I've got new ball joints coming today and I believe they have the nuts with them.

What about putting it back together?

The book says 180 ft. lbs.

Gonna be tough to do with channel locks or a chisel...
Dr Evil
The tool I bought would not have stod up to 180 fp. I just put them on realy friggen tight. Maybe others will chime in?

Not channel locks my friend, a PIPE wrench. They can impart amazing torque.
Allan
I'll give it a go.

Thanks Mike...
Dr Evil
Yer welcome, dude.
Aaron Cox
allan, the socket is the right way to go...i believe joe sharp has mine....

mine has done 20 ball joints with impacts...... no prob, mike sucks with tools obviously LOL
JPB
You folks don't understand though, DrEvil can overhaul an atomic sub with his adjustible. You should see him work on tranys, I saw the pics. As for tool junkies mine is the cutting torches.
swood
I know I'm an RH baby....but I didn't use the correct tool (That was generously offered to me btw-AA)

Nothing worked.

Except l-e-v-e-r-a-g-e. Grip it with a long extension...that nut is no match for the laws of physics. Worked like a charm. But, yes AA, you will need the correct tool to torque it back on.
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 30 2006, 02:29 PM) *

i believe joe sharp has mine....

And this will help me how?
rhodyguy
air impact hammer and a chisel bit stuck in one of the notches on the capturing nut. people don't believe until they see it. don't seperate the balljoint from the strut housing until the nut is loosened.

k
Allan
My delimma is that I have no air at the house,,,
Aaron Cox
i have an electric one.. 240 ft lbs...
Eric_Shea
mike sucks with tools obviously

Good thing he's not a Doctor! w00t.gif

Allan, did you get your stoppers?
Allan
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 30 2006, 08:48 PM) *

mike sucks with tools obviously

Allan, did you get your stoppers?

Yep, and they be nice and shiney...

Thanks Eric.
tdgray
So if I read the pelican info correctly the nut is a 30mm nut??? Is that right???

If so I have a 30mm socket in my impact set. Why can't I use that confused24.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 1 2006, 07:30 AM) *

So if I read the pelican info correctly the nut is a 30mm nut??? Is that right???

If so I have a 30mm socket in my impact set. Why can't I use that confused24.gif

It's not a hexagonal? nut.....it's round with 4 slots cut into it for the "special removal tool".
tdgray
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 1 2006, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 1 2006, 07:30 AM) *

It's not a hexagonal? nut.....it's round with 4 slots cut into it for the "special removal tool".

Oooooooohh So thats why. Sorry never even looked at fucher headbang.gif headbang.gif
rhodyguy
no todd. the correct tool looks like this. it encompasses the whole outer portion of the nut and the inner tangs go in the slots. 1/2" drive. the nuts are usually all bunged up and the tang edges get rounded over. i'll never put old capturing nuts on a ball joint again.

k
Aaron Cox
allan, i found the tool. i can ups it to you this week if need be (if it can wait till next weekend it will be way cheaper!)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.