Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - but interesting: DeLorean reproduction
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
today I've found this sidenote in an Austrian magazin:

translation:

boy's dreams: at "Back To The Future" the DeLorean wrote a chapter of film history. The production of this cult car ended in 1982. 25 years later a car producer from Florida started a reproduction. In about 2 months the first car should be ready - price currently unknown.

wavey.gif Gustl
i love porsche
funny you mention this, i just saw a delorean last night ...there are 1 or 2 around my area..pretty cool looking cars...im eager to see a new one
tdgray
Question is... will it be as big of a piece of stromberg.gif as the original huh.gif
nomore9one4
agree.gif You need to own 2 so you have a second for parts.
turboman808
Guy at my last job had one. I wasn't impressed with it at all. Slow and couldn't handle. I would pimp slap it in our industrial park races easy.
BigDBass
I was amazed when I saw no less than 5 of these on the expressway on our way to brunch on Father's Day a couple weekends ago. 2 of the 5 were on flatbads wink.gif I guess they were for parts to support the 3 on the road happy11.gif
zymurgist
When the flux capacitors went NLA, most owners just parked their Deloreans.
So.Cal.914
The problem with DeLoreans is they keeps sucking up the white lines off the road.

smoke.gif
Aaron Cox
do they come woth "snow" tires?
John G
Yep, there's a company in TX that bought all the spare parts from the Delorean factory and some of their machines. They are now selling completely NEW, reassembled DeLoreans from that facility. About $40K buys you a brand new DeLorean. biggrin.gif

I think it's called Delorean Motor Company. I THINK this is the link: http://www.delorean.com/sales.asp

John

PS. They have a nice supercharged engine option. A must for a DeLorean, IMO.
Brett W
I met some guys when I lived in Colorado, that were doing engine swaps on those cars. They were putting Northstar motors in them. Seemed like a much better swap. Too bad the rest of the cars are junk.
Joe Bob
Well, if they stay with the stainless steel...rust would be less of an issue....
Toast
" You built a time machine!!.............out of a DeLorean ?!"
JPB
Every now and agin, you could find one for like 20K and very little miles and thats an original. All the parts were from American made cars of that era and should be easy to get, I think it was a Chrisler undercariage, correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't they come with 318's? The probably didn't even come with sway bars, now that would be an improvement. Non rusting cars are on the top of my list.
scotty b
I was recently looking at a magazine called cars of the world. It lists EVERY country that produces any type of car. I was amazed at how many companies in different countries there are making various types of kit cars. Most were either dune buggies or Cobras but they ranged from those, all the way up to high end one off exotics.Interesting read but it cost somethiong like 15 or 20.00 !!
So.Cal.914
I believe the Bloworean had a Renault drivetrain icon8.gif and God knows what

the rest of it was.
wertygrog
suspension from the lotus europa i believe.....they sure are cool looking cars!
bondo
Lots of Deloran info
wbergtho
OK...putting in a Northstar V-8 is an improvement...but what to do about the body....hmmmmmmmm......I believe a resurrected Delorean would look better with a 914 body on it. Deloreans are quite possibly uglier than all AMC products put together...POS! Anyone willing to spend 40K (or even $2) on a "new" Delorean should immediately be thrown into a psych ward to have their head examined.
JeffBowlsby
The Wikipedia site above says:

"Six DMC-12s were co-opted for use in the making of the films. For the second and third films, producers replaced the underpowered stock engines in their production cars with Porsche engines."

I wonder which engine? 928? 911? Was it adapted to the DMC trans or was a P-car trans used too?
johannes
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 1 2006, 06:27 AM) *

The Wikipedia site above says:

"Six DMC-12s were co-opted for use in the making of the films. For the second and third films, producers replaced the underpowered stock engines in their production cars with Porsche engines."

I wonder which engine? 928? 911? Was it adapted to the DMC trans or was a P-car trans used too?

Thats sounds more like hoax ... Why would production need more power in the car ... for a movie.
bd1308
Renault, Volvo and somebody else went in together to produce the drivetrain for this car...the early engines has VERY VERY bad issues with oil sludging and engine failures, the early cars did NOT have any form of retractable or "roll-down" windows (weight saving for the gull wing doors) and the government mandated the hideous 85mph top end on the speedo. They go faster, but its not a dragster.

I'd really like to have one....

b
Gustl
there were 4 DeLoreans shown at an Austrian fair last summer ...

I like them, but I'm not so sure if I would want one idea.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
redshift
They aren't worth building, I know that much.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.