Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it broken?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
VegasRacer
It seems like this web site has been crashing a lot.
(I am not giving you a hard time about it) Really I'm not.
Is there anything we can do as members to help out the 914World.com?
Do you (we) need new hardware? Money? Duct tape or WD40?

What can the grateful members in cyberland do to help?
SirAndy
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Oct 8 2003, 03:27 PM)
Do you (we) need new hardware? Money? Duct tape or WD40?

hmmm, yellow duct tape would make it faster, right?

i already got a second DL 380 which will act as a backup for the current server. i'm also planning on having the BBS run on a dedicated box with a active failover ...

all we need is $$$ laugh.gif
Andy
Brad Roberts
IIS doesnt like PHP. I dont think they ever intended it run on any ANY Windows servers. If I knew Unix and had a Unix box up and running for FREE.. this would run on a Unix box.. but when all the free servers and helpers are Windows guys... the answer for what this was going to run on was pretty simple. I could have easily ran this under a desk with a slow ass DSL line and babysat it 24/7 or gone with a T1 line... but that costs money.

I'm beginning to beleive this is a IIS Windows issues and not a PHP issue. I have nothing to back this up..

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 8 2003, 03:53 PM)
I have nothing to back this up..

i know you don't wink.gif

get a little box with linux and slapp php and mysql on it.
i give you a IP and space in the cage.

no problem, i just don't have the time to deal with it right now.
Andy
Brad Roberts
I dont have time either...

I dont know Linux..and I really dont care to know it...

Easy solution = Shut it off.

B
fiid
I don't have a spare box that I deem to be reliable, but I am happy to do the linux install and get this thing running if you like.

I'd put up some cash towards getting a box too. What are you running this thing on?

Fiid.
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 8 2003, 04:37 PM)
What are you running this thing on?

NT 4.0
fiid
barf.gif

How much megahertz and ram are we talking....? Could we re-install it on the existing hardware? Is it at a hosting provider?? I have a server that is on a dsl line, but the upstream is only 256Kb/sec.

Fiid.
Brad Roberts
We have the bandwith. There is no reason why it couldnt be moved over to any server on any operating system.

The problem I dont want to get into: ONE person knowing how this works. Right now I have 2 and both of us happened to be in the same place at the same time during the last major outage over the weekend. Its currectly causing the entire IIS system to crash and effects his paying clients.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 8 2003, 04:47 PM)
barf.gif

How much megahertz and ram are we talking....? Could we re-install it on the existing hardware? Is it at a hosting provider?? I have a server that is on a dsl line, but the upstream is only 256Kb/sec.

Fiid.

we've been through this a few times before, so for those of you who missed it ...

the BBS is running off one of my Biz-Servers that hosts about 10 different (eCommerce and others) web-sites. this server runs NT 4.0 and HAS TO stay that way, i am NOT willing to jeopardise my clients web-sites for this BBS.
the windows requirement came from my clients and is NOT my personal choice.
NO, we can not wipe it and re-code all my clients applications for Linux.

i am, however, not opposed to the idea of getting a linux box and add it to
THE CAGE i have at the COLO-Facility. my cage is directly connected to a BIG pipe so bandwidth is not a problem. i also have plenty of free IP-addresses.

my current workload does not permit me to move everything (the BBS) onto a linux box, but everything is already done in PHP and mySQL, so the transfer to a linux system should not create too many headaches, i just don't have the time.

we put the BBS on my box because it was the easiest way to get it up and running at the time and (at least for you guys) it is FREE ...

so stop giving me shit about what OS we're using and DO SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE and get us a linux box and move the bbs over and i will put it in my cage at the colo.

can you tell i had a great day at work?
Andy
fiid
Fair play.

PHP is pretty similar whatever platform it runs on - it's just the OS around the webserver that is way different. If you want to go to linux (or any other unix), let me know if you want any help - I'm happy to do work on the install or to run you through how to administer it.

Another option is you could run apache on windows - perhaps with the php plugin. I've never done it, but it ought to work okay and gets you away from the IIS nastyness. It might be more stable than IIS. It could be run side-by-side and compared if you wanted to beta test it.

Fiid.
fiid
Dude,

I did not intend to give you shit about the OS. I'm just not a big windows fan. No worries.

Sorry your day at work was not good.

Fiid.
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 8 2003, 05:02 PM)
Another option is you could run apache on windows - perhaps with the php plugin.  I've never done it, but it ought to work okay and gets you away from the IIS nastyness.  It might be more stable than IIS.  It could be run side-by-side and compared if you wanted to beta test it.

i'd like to get it off the box.
IIS is running stable otherwise, it's always the PHP that crashes IIS (and nothing else besides the BBS is using the PHP or mySql) ...

there's already way too much crap on that box, installing apache parallell to IIS is not going to make it any better.

right now, we run on a 4 x 500 MHZ with 1GB of RAM, but obviously that would be overkill if we separate the BBS.

it would run fine on a older box (< 1GHz) with some ram, 256MB should work just fine.
Andy
Brad Roberts
Its lovely to go out of town and come back to a rash of SHIT.

I have a box we can use. I'll buy a HD for it this week and install W2K on it with IIS.

I currently have one that is 90% installed and is running my email and NOTHING else.

Andy.. get me cage access for Tuesday of next week.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 8 2003, 05:13 PM)
Andy.. get me cage access for Tuesday of next week.

will do ...
Part Pricer
Apache on Windows is better than IIS on Windows. But, I would only use it if I absolutely HAD to.

Not to appear an OS bigot, but moving to a LINUX box running PHP and MySQL to support the BBS would probably be a smart move. Brad doesn't want to learn a new system, but with the right hand-holding, he may even like it.

It should be on its own box. It's not right that we are jeopardizing Andy's business and customers with our hobby.

Fiid is nearby and has offered his expertise. All I can do is offer remote help and opinions (got lots o those).

Do we need to raise money for a box?
fiid
I apologise. Shouldn't have said anything. Didn't mean to piss anyone off.
vortrex
I was just waiting for some to mention linux! LOL smile.gif
Brad Roberts
No money needed for a new box.

I have a new (to us) box with almost everything already installed. Let me get it up and running in the cage and see how it responds. I'm sure I could figure out Linux.

B
robby750
I wish i spoke this language.
SirAndy
ok, does anyone have a illegal copy of redhat available for download?
a matching copy of apache would be a plus wink.gif

of so, i'll take brad's box this weekend and put a linux on it and install php and mysql and move the BBS over.

Andy
Part Pricer
I hope you're kidding about Apache. It's a free download here.
Brad Roberts
I'm guessing he meant to say/type "legal" copy.

I have a legal version of Linux here at the house.. just dont recall which version I have.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 8 2003, 05:44 PM)
I'm guessing he meant to say/type "legal" copy.

I have a legal version of Linux here at the house.. just dont recall which version I have.

legal, illegal, scheißegal ...
whatever, just give it to me rolleyes.gif

B., i'll be at the shop tonight to pick up my car.
can you have the box and linux ready for pickup?

Andy
fiid
Redhat is free. The fastest local mirror is ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/redhat/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/ for the CD images.

Apache, and I think PHP come with it as RPMs, but I usually compile apache from scratch, just so you know what's in it.

I can burn you a set of CDs if you want. I have all the ISOs pre-downloaded.

Fiid.
fiid
Oh - Mysql is bundled as well.

The latest redhat version is 9.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(robby750 @ Oct 8 2003, 04:30 PM)

Me too. blink.gif

I asked the original question.
About the only part of the answer I understood was
No money needed for a new box.

I hope the administration team can understand this: Thanks & Danke ! beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 8 2003, 05:57 PM)
Redhat is free.

redhat is free now? huh, i remember paying for it. it's been a few years rolleyes.gif ...
maybe they just charged me for the CDs and shipping to germany ...

Andy
Brad Roberts
Nope. Not tonight. The new box needs a hard drive. The box "I" was going to put into place already had everything on it.. including my email.. so I cant just move it and have email down for 4-5 days before it goes into the cage.

I'll pick up a new HD for the donated box tomorrow from some place up here.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 8 2003, 05:57 PM)
I can burn you a set of CDs if you want. I have all the ISOs pre-downloaded.

that would be perfect. do you work in the city?
my office is at at 2nd and brannen ...

Andy
fiid
That's the best news I've heard all day. I work at 5th and mission. I'll be in the office tomorrow so I can just hike over at lunchtime or something. Is there anywhere decent to eat over there??

Fiid.
fiid
CD 1 is writing right now.
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Oct 8 2003, 06:09 PM)
That's the best news I've heard all day. I work at 5th and mission. I'll be in the office tomorrow so I can just hike over at lunchtime or something. Is there anywhere decent to eat over there??

very guud cool.gif

there's a french bistro at southpark plus a pretty good sandwich place.
then there's the fancy Momo's.
there's a good pizza place.
there's crossroads cafe.
21st amendment brewery has decent food too.

Andy
-P-
I'll host this site gratis if you like. it wont put a dent in our box

FreeBSD, Apache 1.3.x, mysql 4.x in a colo at Hurricance electric.
krk
Another hurricane user. Cool.

kim.
Joe Bob
If anyone cares....I miss the old 914 parts/cars for sale format.....easy to read and scroll through.....after a month ya start over again.....
Brad Roberts
I liked it also until I found out 99% of my email spam was coming from companies who ran scripts against the old dgi.net html pages to strip our email addresses out of it. BULLSHIT.

Set your login up to have an email sent out when somebody post something new.. I enjoy NOT having to look at it every day.

Or.. better yet.. email the person at DGI.net to make the old one run again so we dont have to maintain this one.

B
Joe Bob
In the LAST three weeks I have been BOMBED with Vicodin and burn your own DVD ads......I'm about ready to dump my email address.....
campbellcj
As I have learned (more) in the last few days, configuration and tuning can make a world of difference on stability and performance of Wintel-based apps. (I had a huge semi-mission critical app go live at Boeing Seattle on Monday...yikes).

If you guys really want stability...move it to a Sun box with dual everything and Apache or iPlanet. I am pretty platform-neutral as I make about half my money from Wintel and half from UNIX; but I have yet to see a Windows box that will stay up continuously for 6-12 months. Including fairly major config or software changes along the way. Enough said.

Anyhow...I have what might be a dumb or offensive question so please don't take it the wrong way...but is this sucker (BBS) getting backed up? It sure would suck to have a drive bite the dust and lose all of this hard work of Andy/Jeroen/Brad etc. Not to mention all the archived content and pics. Just wondering. idea.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 8 2003, 08:02 PM)
In the LAST three weeks I have been BOMBED with Vicodin and burn your own DVD ads......I'm about ready to dump my email address.....

I'm well up over 100 spams a day, and that's just what makes it past my server-side filters. Prolly more like 200/day total. It's really out of control.
Brad Roberts
The BBS is backed up.. the pics and such are not. But the entire site currently resides on several hard drives. One can fail but no single HD has all the info. Tape backup would be nice..

Anyone with an old "NetApp" we could use ?? 1 terybyte should be enough.

B
mikester
Hey fellas, I don't like to toot my own horn much but I'm pretty unix savy and I'd recommend a FreeBSD OS or Solaris on a SPARC or INTEL platform. Redhat and the like I believe are a bad choice for servers due to their "desktop" aim. FreeBSD is the bomb though, Apple based OS X on it and Juniper bases their router OS on it.

I have a great deal of experience with both and would be happy to donate some time; unfortunately I can't until after my wedding (11/15). I would also be willing to donate a Sun Ultra 1, though that is a rather limited box I will say. It is limited in disk capacity (only holdes 2 or possibly 3) and I think it has 256MB RAM, I don't know how much disk space you need - I only have a 9GB drive in it now.

Just my two cents.
SirAndy
we do frequent backups of the database and web-root (which has the pics etc.).
plus, the server runs a raid-array with all harddrives mirrored ...
soooo, if one burns out (which has happened), it'll just rebuild from the mirror.

i think we're good there, but if we move to a new box, we might want to do a tape-backup. we won't need much GB for that. anyone with a DAT drive sitting on the shelf?

Andy
mikester
I forgot to mention something key....

Windows blows.

boldblue.gif
McMark
How much space does the site take? GBs?
Brad Roberts
Maybe 1 gig if your lucky. Locking down the size of the pics has helped keep the site small.

B
dgw
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 8 2003, 09:08 PM)
Maybe 1 gig if your lucky. Locking down the size of the pics has helped keep the site small.

B

Soooooooooooo...................

What kind of hard drives are you looking for?

I have a some SCSI drives I'm not using, because they are too noisy. An IBM 9 gig DDYS (10K rpm) 80 pin (I have a 68-80 pin converter), a 9 gig IBM DMVS, and a 4 gig Seagate Cheetah (10K rpm). The 10K drives need a fan, they get hot.
Charles Deutsch
QUOTE(robby750 @ Oct 8 2003, 05:30 PM)

Yeah, it's all Greek to me too.
SirAndy
actually, i have a couple of 9GB SCSI harddrives too.

B., does your box have a SCSI controller?
if not, i think i have a card here somewhere.

hmmmm, 2 x 9GB should be more than enough ...
Andy
Brad Roberts
It does have a Adaptec SCSI controller. It was a SCSI box. I'll buy a new HD.

I did like the Cheetah 10k RPM HD's in the past..

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.