Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical PIA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Okay here's the deal. My car is running WAY too rich, and in the process of trying to diagnos the problem, I've pulled three wires out of the little plastic connectors: both wires on the cold start valve, and one on the manifold vacuum sensor. Those things are impossbile to resolder, and I can't find any new connectors that will work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix these or any alternative solutions short of replacing the entire loom? I would like to get this fixed so that I can continue troubleshooting my injection system. Thanks guys
Mark D.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jun 30 2006, 02:18 PM) *

Okay here's the deal. My car is running WAY too rich, and in the process of trying to diagnos the problem, I've pulled three wires out of the little plastic connectors: both wires on the cold start valve, and one on the manifold vacuum sensor. Those things are impossbile to resolder, and I can't find any new connectors that will work. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix these or any alternative solutions short of replacing the entire loom? I would like to get this fixed so that I can continue troubleshooting my injection system. Thanks guys
Mark D.

I stock the connectors. Common size. Jeff Bowlsby does an OUTSTANDING job of harness repair...... OUTSTANDING. The Cap'n
BMXerror
The connectors come with the metal and plastic separate, right? You attach the wire to the actually conductor and then lock it in the insulator, right? If you've got 'em I'll take 'em. I need the four wire one for the airflow meter and I might as well have enough for all four injectors and the cold start valve as well. PM me and maybe we can set something up.
Mark D.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jun 30 2006, 04:31 PM) *

The connectors come with the metal and plastic separate, right? You attach the wire to the actually conductor and then lock it in the insulator, right? If you've got 'em I'll take 'em. I need the four wire one for the airflow meter and I might as well have enough for all four injectors and the cold start valve as well. PM me and maybe we can set something up.
Mark D.

What year? What FI system? The Cap'n
mihai914
There are alot of people who have spent numerous hours troubleshooting the the FI system and replacing a ton of parts to find out finally that the harness was not up to the task. I second the Cap'n and suggest that if you can, have yours fixed and tested by Jeff, a much less expensive option than his rebuilt harnesses. It's the first time I see the Cap'n use the word outstanding, so it's gotta be really good...
JeffBowlsby
Thanks for the kudos Cap'n, especially coming from you.

Mark please be really careful. Make sure you know where each wire goes, and put it in the correct location or you may cause more problems than you started with. I do not sell parts individually not because I wouldn't like the sale, but because I never thought it was in the the best interests of the customer...which is to make their 914 reliable and running properly. There are too many potential pitfalls.

knowing how to extract and install wire terminals incorrectly, have the specialized tools needed, the possibilities of wires in the wrong cavity, attempting to fix a 35-yr old harness that is hardened and brittle...all can be a real problem. I regularly find wiring shorts inside the harness casing on these old harness...most of them need to be replaced. Its now wonder to me there are so many reports of burps and hiccups in these FI systems. PO hack repairs are typical problems usually buried in layers of electrical tape. All it takes is one wire in the harness to be wrong, broken, shorted, corroded or otherwise an issue and the whole engine will not be right or may not work. When I repair harnesses I go through the whole harness and make sure it is right, so that if there continue to be issues, you can be assured its not the harness.

lapuwali
I'll second the Cap'n's remarks, and add that just buying one of Jeff's FI looms (just the part that goes in the engine bay, not the whole friggin' car) is really the best way to solve this problem. If part of that wiring is going, it's likely ALL of the engine bay wiring is going. The insulation gets brittle and starts cracking, which causes all kinds of subtle and not-so-subtle problems. Jeff's stuff is really, really nice, and it will be completely plug-and-play.
BMXerror
In consideration of all things said, I'm one proud Mother F-----! I want to do as much of the work myself as possible. Plug and play isn't all that interesting to me. That puts me only one step higher than the rice rocket crowd, who bought a fart can and a chip and paid someone else to put it in for them. Don't get me wrong, if I can't solve it myself I'll definately make contact, but there's still some things that are suspect that I need to check, especially since it was running recently. I want to try fixing those connections first so I can continue troubleshooting. BTW, how do I make contact with you to get ahold of one of those harnesses if it comes to that, Jeff?
Mark D.
Oh yeah. 1970 1.7 with a D-jet system.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jun 30 2006, 09:49 PM) *

BTW, how do I make contact with you to get ahold of one of those harnesses if it comes to that, Jeff?

look at the bottom of his post.....

Plug and play isn't all that interesting to me. That puts me only one step higher than the rice rocket crowd, who bought a fart can and a chip and paid someone else to put it in for them.

finger.gif I plug and played and i'm driving my teen, but I did put it in myself.
I am my own fartcan so don't need one on the car. mad.gif

biggrin.gif got ya!
swl
OK. I'm a klutz that doesn't know nearly enough about 914's and have done more harm than good in trying to get the old beast running. (But am enjoying every minute of it - masochism). But for the benefit of others that are just starting down the path...

The plugs in these systems stick like hell. In many cases they have never been unplugged in 30 years. The wiring harness was never designed to disconnect by pulling on the wire when it was new let alone now. You WILL break wires unless you are absolutely anal about how you unplug the loom. Grab it by the plastic only. If that doesn't work get out a little screwdriver and pry gently. These harnesses don't fail - we break them.

I have the same philosophy as BMXerror. Screw it up myself and only go to Jeff if I get totally frustrated! I was able to walk into the local VW dealer and buy tails that can be spliced into the harness and fit properly back into the plug. looks like hell having a splice in there but it works.

Without doubt though - you can save a lot of time and frustration by buying a loom from Jeff if you are going to be working a lot on the engine. Flexing those old wires can cause cracks in the insulation that could cause damp weather gremlins.

Hmm. Have I just talked myself into a new harness?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.