Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So when did they change the headlight push rod from Metal to Plastic?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
GWN7
Finishing taking the 74 parts car apart and one side is a metal push rod and the other is a plastic one.

The "lever for engine" is different too PN# 914 624 114 11

Change up mid stream or was one side replaced?
grasshopper
sorry, but is this the rod that goes from the motor to the headlight?
GWN7
Yes

Porsche calls it a "push rod" it attaches to the "lever for engine" which bolts to the headlight motor
McMark
Bruce,

I've added this part to the new Parts Vault. Here's a picture. Part number 25, right?
GWN7
yes it's #25 "push rod"

One side is metal and the other side is plastic
McMark
Never seen a plastic one. confused24.gif
914werke
I have. Only encountered them on 76 cars.
Not to say thats when it was changed over just thats my experiance.
Bleyseng
Yes, my 76 has the plastic ones without the C clips holding them on too. My earlier cars have the metal rod with C clip.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 1 2006, 01:44 PM) *

Yes, my 76 has the plastic ones without the C clips holding them on too. My earlier cars have the metal rod with C clip.

Edified again!
sixerdon
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 1 2006, 09:44 AM) *

My '76 parts car also has them. I wonder if this was done to compensate for all that added weight on the bumpers and to keep prices down.
So '76 was the changeover year for the plastic rods.
Pat, you better start a post on front trunks. Everyone is getting ahead of you.
Don
914runnow
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jun 30 2006, 06:04 PM) *

Finishing taking the 74 parts car apart and one side is a metal push rod and the other is a plastic one.

The "lever for engine" is different too PN# 914 624 114 11

Change up mid stream or was one side replaced?

75 from my take aparts on various 914's..
Hmmmmm..Look for body damage on yours..
IF NOT..then you might have one of those rare
assembly gremlins in your car..
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jul 1 2006, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 1 2006, 09:44 AM) *

My '76 parts car also has them. I wonder if this was done to compensate for all that added weight on the bumpers and to keep prices down.
So '76 was the changeover year for the plastic rods.
Pat, you better start a post on front trunks. Everyone is getting ahead of you.
Don

Ok, Don

Was trying o enjoy the holiday weekend, BUT NOOOO, the CW's scream again for more action. Watch !
GWN7
Here is a picture of the two side by side....note the metal one (left) has nylon bushings while the plastic one has none. Cost saving? No part numbers found on either.
914runnow
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 3 2006, 09:33 AM) *

Here is a picture of the two side by side....note the metal one (left) has nylon bushings while the plastic one has none. Cost saving? No part numbers found on either.

The one on your right was not an assembly line part as it
shows the infamous Porsche ruddy primer on it..
WHICH means it was later pulled from replacement stock...
Due to damage or???????? Some one had replaced it after
the fact ....Have seen those before in my crash victims.....
Also collect odd Porsche tin parts here n there when they present..
That not being one as they are still abundent..
Good luck though in your quest..
grasshopper
It seems that all the 76 had them... The 76 parts car that I cut up had the plastic ones, and my 75 does not..
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 3 2006, 01:33 PM) *

wacko.gif

The plastic one looks significantly larger that the metal one. W\Wouldn't the geometry have been the same? Why so much larger?
914runnow
QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 5 2006, 07:09 PM) *

It seems that all the 76 had them... The 76 parts car that I cut up had the plastic ones, and my 75 does not..

Hmmmmmm.. What year oooopppppps..
Month of build/vin # is your 75???
As I took apart..(dismantled) a 75..1.8
that was to be a tracker..(sold to a friend)..
The plastic one in my hand from the 75..
Measures 5.385 in length..
the metal one from an earlier 914 =5.440
thickness=.195 for metal
" =.325 for plastic
width=.985 metal
" =1.003 plastic
BTW center to center are equal on each part..
So as usual Porsche used in the bins what they had....
till they were gone..
GWN7
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 6 2006, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(GWN7 @ Jul 3 2006, 01:33 PM) *

wacko.gif

The plastic one looks significantly larger that the metal one. W\Wouldn't the geometry have been the same? Why so much larger?

That's just a illusion of my photographic skills....the plastic one is higher than the metal one so it looks bigger beerchug.gif

The metal one swung down just as I took the picture and I was in a hurry and didn't take another one. biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
The plastic ones have a slight offset too. If you install them backwards they pop off when you raise the lites.

They are soo much lighter so 76 cars go faster!

I think it was a cost saving reason to make the change.
grasshopper
my 75 is a very early one. It is vin 4752901648. The build date on the sticker in the door jamb is october something of 1974... Hey Geoff, I thought that the 76 cars were just left over 75's...why would they change this if they had the parts already on the shelves??
Bleyseng
Leftover? Hmm, they built as many bodies as they had all the stampings for the 76 cars. Remember the model change over was in what Aug? So 76 cars (only 4100) are from Sept to Dec of 75. None were built in 76 or rather no chassis's were as it seems at the Christmas break of 75 they switched the line over to building the front wheel drive cars.

Andy, what do the "bible say on this?" I can't read it too well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.