Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New mufflers / installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I saw another V-8 car with these mufflers and since then I have been tracking them on EBAY. Pick them up for $170 including shipping. The idea is to soften up the exhaust tone during normal driving. They do have a secondary actuator that when opened bypasses most of the baffles and surely that will be loud. Yes they are large agree.gif IPB Image

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
very nice!

where do they get vacuum from?
drive-ability
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 30 2006, 11:23 PM) *

very nice!

where do they get vacuum from?

Aaron,
I am sure originally it was computer controlled via tps/map sensors but since my EFI doesn't have this option. I will have to come up with a micro switch set to trip when the secondaries open. I may need a vacuum reservoir to make it work correctly. I don't see any problems setting that up.
Brando
Cable actuated would rock...

"What's this lever?"
"That lever? It's for the afterburners. Just listen..."

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH...

Probably vacuum controlled from the pre-plenum side of the intake. You may need quite a bit of vacuum to open those, though. Akin to what you'd find on a high-output V10 or V12...
JPB
How you say," grandas cahones segnor?" Is dat big oisters in englis or what?

beer.gif Very large, very cool, very manly. Its whats under the kilt that really counts laddy.
newto914s
If I remember correctly those mufflers were from a Ferrari, right? And you got a screaming deal on them. Your car is going to sound awsome! Props beerchug.gif
Samson
drive-ability
QUOTE(newto914s @ Jul 1 2006, 08:20 AM) *

If I remember correctly those mufflers were from a Ferrari, right? And you got a screaming deal on them. Your car is going to sound awsome! Props beerchug.gif
Samson

Sure its an insult drunk.gif to that beautiful machine, however they will do what I want.

Yes a 575 Ferrari
drive-ability
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Jun 30 2006, 10:39 PM) *

I saw another V-8 car with these mufflers and since then I have been tracking them on EBAY. Pick them up for $170 including shipping. The idea is to soften up the exhaust tone during normal driving. They do have a secondary actuator that when opened bypasses most of the baffles and surely that will be loud. Yes they are large agree.gif IPB Image

IPB Image

I got the mufflers in and they are so cool, the primary's are real quiet at 45 mph I can just here a soft humm. When the secondaries open, sounds like its on steroids beerchug.gif I don't have the valves automated yet but will withing a few days.
Have a great 4th flag.gif
drive-ability
Exhaust installed and exhaust valve wired in cab via toggle switch. Two tone exhaust system with remote beerchug.gif

IPB Image
aircooledboy
hmmmmmmmmm....... drooley.gif

muuust haaaaave. . . . . .muuuuuuust haaaaaave. . . . . . . drooley.gif drooley.gif

Looking most sweet dood. beerchug.gif
redshift
hahahaha holy grape skins!

M
Brando
You could wire them up to some sort of lever system based off of throttle position... so in the low RPMs it's kinda quiet, and when you stomp on it -- full flow!
crash914
you can always use a relay output from a megasquirt....base it on throttle position...
tdgray
QUOTE(crash914 @ Jul 7 2006, 04:03 PM) *

you can always use a relay output from a megasquirt....base it on throttle position...

Awesome idea thumb3d.gif
JPB
I hope its a she beacuse she has an awsone ass!

bootyshake.gif If you like it, kiss it!
byndbad914
do you have a shot of the inlet side of those? What diam pipe is the inlet?

If I move outta state, I fear my car may need to go through inspection to get licensed, and the current sprint car headers into 3-1/2" large flow mufflers won't cut it... I may need to "adapt" those via some creative butchering and leave the vacuum off of it to keep it quiet enough to pass.

Put 'em on to choke it down and pass, then take 'em off when the registration is in hand. Fix it ticket - put 'em on then take 'em off sort of thing.

Not too many 525HP tube chassis cars have working lights, hazards, horn and wipers. I have all that under control, but the noise on my car is pretty crazy (I love it but the cops will probably love me more).
neo914-6
you'll give the ricer's muffler envy happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.