Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring harnesses available new?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ratt
Mine is so Hacked. I have to get a replacement one. There is a fat link wire running from I guess my iggnition switch to the fues block, Its not stock and has very little insulation left. It is in beeter shape then most of the other wires. I figure befor I do anythin else, I NEED to repalce the harness. Are they still available? or is my best bet to try and find another 74 914 that someone is parting out?
Thanks
Andy Rattley
Brad Roberts
Right now.. you will have to find a donor harness. I'm working with a place in LA to make new harnesses for our 4cyl cars. They currently make them for 9146's and would be more than happy to make them for our 4cyl cars. The problem is the price. They take almost 40 man hours to make. This leaves us with a price of 1000-1200$. I have a funny feeling most 4 cyl owners wont pay this.. nonetheless I'm helping them get these ready for resale.

B
Charles Deutsch
Are you forgetting about Jeff Bowlsby http://members.rennlist.com/914_wiring_harnesses ?
Brad Roberts
Jeff doesnt make a complete chassis harness.

B
EdwardBlume
Can old harnesses be "rebuilt" or does it still take 40 hours? Can you sell a do it yourself kit?
echocanyons
http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

these the guys??
Qarl
Yes... they are in Redlands, CA
Brad Roberts
I would imagine they can "repair" an old harness... but I would think Jeff could do this also.

B
Brad Roberts
Yes.. he is a Porsche guy (356 guy) and wants to do the 4cyl harnesses for us.

Feel free to send him a good 1973 harness and take over the project from me.. I dont have time.

B
echocanyons
I havent used them but I hear that they are great for the 356's plus they make them for just about every other vintage model Porsche like 550, Abarth etc.

But they are a bit spendy!
Ratt
If I bought a new Harness it would double the value of my car. I allways enjoyed the old on about the Yugo, But now My Porsche as a Joke? Say it isnt so. There are a few 914 at the U-pull yard down the road from here, I am going to ry my luck. Will any year fit, or am I stuck with a 74 only?
THanks
Andy Rattley
Brad Roberts
All the years will fit. Just be REAL careful pulling it from the donor chassis. It will take you 2-3 hours to pull one completely out without damaging it. I'm betting your going to find the same thing in the donor cars (hacked harness). People just cant figure out how to fix anything electrical without hacking into the harness.

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Oct 8 2003, 06:43 PM)
I havent used them but I hear that they are great for the 356's plus they make them for just about every other vintage model Porsche like 550, Abarth etc.

But they are a bit spendy!

they -are- pricey but they are the only place i will consider for my '53.

when Beru (Porsche's electrical OEM in the early days) quit making 356 harnesses, YnZ bought up their sheath loom weaving machine. their harnesses use all the original DIN metric wire gauges in all the original color codes. they use the original connectors on the wires. for all intents and purposes, it is a NOS harness. i don't mind modifying the 911 and 914.6 to suit my tastes, but The Plan for the '53 is an as-original restoration, and they are the only players in that game.

it remains to be seen how many 914 owners will want brand new, all-original harnesses as opposed to something functional but not necessarily concours-original in every respect. in another 30 yrs, maybe...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.