Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Parts Vault
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
McMark
I just added a new feature to the site and I'm looking for feedback. I've been pondering how best to try and build a 914 parts "encyclopedia" for some time. My first thought was to build a custom software solution, but then I realized that I could use the software we already have in a "creative" way.

The Parts Vault

There are strict rules in this forum. Think of every thread as it's own book on a particular part. Pull one off the shelf and read up on what other people have discovered about that part. In the future, the threads in this forum could also be linked to clickable parts breakdown images. So you could browse through images of the rear suspension, click on a part and be taken to all the information on that part.

I think it will be a great addition to the site. I realize that a lot of our members don't have access to part numbers. I will be adding part numbers with descriptions and pictures from the parts manual as I get time. I encourage members who have the PET and ability to cut and paste images of the parts to help out adding new threads.

I have no idea how this departure from the norm is going to play out. I'm very excited about it and I hope others are as well. Jumpy.gif
GWN7
Everyone can download the Porsche parts PFD catalogue. Porsche offers it online for all models

http://www.porsche.com/canada/accessoriesa...-originalparts/
tod914
Mark, how about a nla parts vault forum with a link to the threads like you said, but also includes substitute parts with vendor/order information. The rivets are a good example, type 4 valve covers are still available through vw, etc.
McMark
Add the info to the threads in the Parts vault. Reply with something like "This part is NLA." Then you can search the Parts Vault for NLA and see everything that was NLA. wink.gif
smontanaro
I'd be happy to help set up a wiki to do this sort of thing. I chatted via email with Pat Garvey a bit before I went on vacation about this. Here it is in its pre-vacation form:

http://orca.mojam.com/914
McMark
Lets get some ideas from other members. I like the idea of using the format we already have because threads in the Parts Vault forum will come up in site wide searches as well a having it fit easily and smoothly into our established structure. If ya'll can convince me that using a Wiki would be better, I'd be happy to set one up here on the site server so all the info is in one place. Let the discussion begin! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.