Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fender Flares; is the cost worth the gains?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Virgil
Now, taking in to account the appealing aestetics of fender flares, atleast to me (being a wieght weeny I would go fiberglass), is the gains of being able to fit a wider wheel and tire (no bigger wheel, just wider, 15-16 inches is plenty) worth the cost to put on, paint, and perform a five lug conversion (as well as buy new tires and wheels) worth it? I have been kicking the idea around, I love the look of a flared out 914 but the cost seems to be the biggest hurdle, unless I can do some of the work myself (I can fix things, but bodywork isn't my speciality by a long shot besides sticking on the occasional front air dam or spoiler).

Any thoughts? If I buy new rubber, i want it to be wider.
Joe Ricard
Yes Street Prepared allows fender flares. and as wide a wheel as you want.
But 15 x 8 are about asmuch as you would want. I have found the limit on tires for autocrossing. 22 x9.5 x 15 Hoosiers. section width is 11" my fenders with the lip ground down to nuthin areabout 12 1/2" inside.
Running 4 1/2 inches of back space just keeps the tire off the inner fender under 1.4 lateral G turns. Fronts are 4 3/4" back space andthe tires sometimes nick the front outer fender lip.
Rivet the fenders on it's sweet.
grantsfo
Slippery slope. 5 lug leads to all sorts of other stuff. Bigger question is will you have enough power to use those big fat tires?
J P Stein
It depends.
I went from stock to ....not stock over a period of 7-8 years.
3 pics.
Stock, intermediate, trailer queen.....and I'm not "done" yet....tho the bottom of that slope is gettin' closer. I didn't start out with this in mind, shit happens..ya know?
sww914
I have a couple of shallow observations.
Joe, nice beer choice. The right beer can really help a project along.
JP, nice garage. I wish my garage wasn't so full of bicycles, skateboards, abandoned craft projects, and old junk that should be thrown away. I like the folding chair strategically located for gazing at your masterpiece lovingly after hours.
Virgil
I like the intermediate... its quite nice. What level of tune would u say that is? Tires actually look pretty big on that one.
Joe Ricard
better pic from last Saturday

J P Stein
225 X 15 Hoosiers on both ends.
The suspension set-up was les than ideal for the street, but I drove it to AX.
Virgil
I am not to concerned about the street manners, i like a car that is really stiff and offers a lot of feedback.

Do u have a v-8 in that thing now? Those rear tires are huge compared to the car.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Virgil @ Jul 2 2006, 10:11 PM) *

I am not to concerned about the street manners, i like a car that is really stiff and offers a lot of feedback.

Do u have a v-8 in that thing now? Those rear tires are huge compared to the car.

I'm running a 2.7L six.

Virgil
*drool* I am looking forward to hearing that engine screaming 6 inches from my head and the custom exhaust note. Even a 100hp 2.0 is fast in a car that wieghs 2400lbs.
Andyrew
Stiff car with lots of feedback... You've come to the right place!!!

PS... oddly.. My cars turning out to be a lot like jp's... Only streetable... and with a v8.
Virgil
Hah, I perfer the WRX swap myself... wieght is better and the center of gravity is kept lower but I bet that v8 is a lot of fun.

Hell, I ride a sportbike, a car (no matter what it is) is loads more comfortable then that japanese torture device (for all that pain its so much fun... it will make a mastacist out of me yet).

grantsfo
QUOTE(Virgil @ Jul 2 2006, 10:58 PM) *

*drool* I am looking forward to hearing that engine screaming 6 inches from my head and the custom exhaust note. Even a 100hp 2.0 is fast in a car that wieghs 2400lbs.

You might want to consider running smaller lighter tires on a slightly modified 2.0 car. I wouldnt run more than 8" wheels and 205/50/15's until your pushing more than 130-140 hp.
Joe Ricard
Agreed. But 1850 pounds and 110 HP is pretty nice too. wheel and tire wieghs 30 pounds.
Virgil
I don't think I will move beyond what I have tell I poke around the suspension a bit, still a lot of grip gains to be had in that area which as far as I understand is lef tuntouched save Bilstien shocks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.