Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Le TOUR DE FRANCE comes in my town
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johannes
Started a new "Tour de France" ...

The Tour de France will stay three days in Alsace.
Prologue is today in Strasbourg. Then two next days will cross next to my home.

See map
johannes
Fresh new road surface ... My 914 likes it too smile.gif

IPB Image
johannes
Saturday 2 PM ... Already people camping next to the road ... and race is only Sunday PM blink.gif

IPB Image

Sorry ! ugly pictures ... but taken while driving.gif
johannes
Look ! what they have built !

entrance of Rosheim

IPB Image
johannes
Yes !!! they will have to cross this medival door ... and there are 5 of them on the next 5 miles ... This is really tight.

3 in Rosheim ... 2 in Boersch ... Will be nice to see that on TV .

IPB Image
johannes
Follow the arrows ! ...

IPB Image

Jesus is the way smile.gif

;o
dion9146
I'm jealous!

Dion
JPB
Awsome! Hey, since you have routed it on some haphazard circuit like through the arches, can we change the rules to full contact? We need a little midevil stuff to liven it up a little.

beer.gif Only bear can be consumed by racers also.
johannes
For instance, I am looking to the prologue on TV ... sad.gif

IPB Image

Nice helicopter view from the Strasbourg cathedral

IPB Image

IPB Image
Demick
I'm expecting to see TV coverage of a crazy Frenchman in a 914 hat running wildly cheering on the leaders! Wish I was there.

Demick
Flat VW
QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 1 2006, 05:35 AM) *

Started a new "Tour de France" ...

The Tour de France will stay three days in Alsace.
Prologue is today in Strasbourg. Then two next days will cross next to my home.

See map

johannes, wavey.gif

When my wife Laurie sees this she's 'gonna flip' ( become excited )!

She LOVES watching the Tour de France. Each year we go to pick up an 'enhanced' cable television box which we use for only one month so that she can receive the broadcast.

Can we camp in your yard next year?
IPB Image

John

Borderline
Trey cool! We'll be watching for you. Wow, its been a long time since I've seen a newly paved road. Brings back fond memories. yeah I live in Caleefornia. Take more photos. rocking nana.gif
Gustl
just saw a cool and exciting progogue thumb3d.gif

but now it's time for soccer w00t.gif wink.gif

England vs. Portugal

wavey.gif Gustl
toon1
cool pics!! thanks
johannes
When my wife Laurie sees this she's 'gonna flip' ( become excited )!

She LOVES watching the Tour de France. Each year we go to pick up an 'enhanced' cable television box which we use for only one month so that she can receive the broadcast.
Can we camp in your yard next year?

You are welcome smile.gif
I am amazed how the tour de France has became popular in the US since Armstrong won it ... This has become a world wide event.
They have counted about 15 million people on the roadside !

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 1 2006, 06:59 AM) *

just saw a cool and exciting progogue thumb3d.gif

but now it's time for soccer w00t.gif wink.gif

England vs. Portugal

wavey.gif Gustl

And what about France VS Brazil ????????????? beerchug.gif

More pictures taken at JPB request ... Other arches ...

IPB Image

Even tighter ... Isn't it ?

IPB Image

More people than before ... smile.gif

IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 1 2006, 06:16 PM) *

And what about France VS Brazil ????????????? beerchug.gif

this will be the prime time hit rocking nana.gif mueba.gif rocking nana.gif

at least I hope so ...

go on showing pics clap56.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
anthony
Great pics. Thanks for posting!
johannes
France vs Brazil ...

Can't believe ! w00t.gif ... They dit it ! pray.gif ... they won 1-0 beerchug.gif

mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif piratenanner.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

IPB Image IPB Image

That's all for today sad.gif ... I'll take more pictures tomorrow and monday. smile.gif
johannes
Back to the Tour de France ...

Yellow shirt and yellow 914 wink.gif I promissed some 914 contend isn't it ?

IPB Image

VEry funny cars in the "caravane publicitaire". This is something you don't see on TV.

there are about 100 cars making advertisement, throwing caps and gifts to the spectators ...

BTW Nice girls doing this job wink.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
johannes
IPB Image

Some very funny and strange cars blink.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
johannes
IPB Image

Hey ! mister policeman , can I join the race ? ... cool_shades.gif

IPB Image

Horsepower ...

IPB Image
johannes
IPB Image

And now ... what we are all looking for ...

De la Funente and Rodrigez ... already 2 mn before all other ... and they have only ran 10 miles ...
They were so fast they almost missed the curve ... This was hot !

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
johannes
Cameraman standing on the bike ... This one almost missed the curve too ohmy.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now the cars from the managers ...

IPB Image

And the last and famous "voiture balais" (brush car ?)
That picks up all the bickers that gave up ...

IPB Image

I hoped I could capture some pictures yesterday, but it was not possible sad.gif ...

That's all folks. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Alsace.
SGB
Merci!

You captured the event well.

Have you been to the Bugatti museum?
johannes
QUOTE(SGB @ Jul 3 2006, 05:26 AM) *

Merci!

You captured the event well.

Have you been to the Bugatti museum?

Thank you

Yes, it's close ... Mulhouse is about 1 hour. It's actually the "musée de l'automobile" but it as so many Bugattis that's often called Bugatti Museum.

Here is the link
http://www.villa-kerylos.com/www.culturesp...informa_01.html

Definitivelly a "must see".

About 1/4 hour from Mulhouse you have the Peugeot factory. They also have a great museum "l'aventure Peugeot"
http://www.peugeot.com/histoire/musee/en/home.htm

Not far (about 2 hours) there is Stuttgart in Germany. They just opened the new Mercedes factory museum ... and next year they will open the new Porsche museum. smile.gif

I'll come back with pictures ...
Gustl
very cool pics - many thanks

as I've seen, the 2 guys currently are about 6 min in front w00t.gif

but I'm sure they won't make it to the end ...

wavey.gif Gustl
Flat VW
Yes, thanks, fine photos,

Is the tour being so near your home considered a diversion by local people or perhaps, bothersome?

John wavey.gif

johannes
QUOTE(Flat VW @ Jul 3 2006, 06:02 AM) *

Yes, thanks, fine photos,

Is the tour being so near your home considered a diversion by local people or perhaps, bothersome?

John wavey.gif

Not at all. Roads are only closed a few hours ... Tour de France is very popular. Everyone wants it to come in his town. It's also an opportunity to make worldwide advertisement for the region/town.
toon1
Great pics.!! the sound of the peloton coming by has to be awsome.are you going to any of the climbing stages??
johannes
QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 3 2006, 07:34 AM) *

are you going to any of the climbing stages??

I am going back to work sad.gif
toon1
QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 3 2006, 08:39 AM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Jul 3 2006, 07:34 AM) *

are you going to any of the climbing stages??

I am going back to work sad.gif

work always gets in the way!!! thanks for the pics.
JPB
Awsome pics dude! Arche de triomphe, non, non, Arche de la more, "Arch of death!" Ahh so many things work so great when they are tight and that is one tight oriphice, orify, orificianado! "C'es t'un bon troue." Keep em coming bro! By the way the "B" in JPB is Blouin.

beer.gif Slamum till ya chummum!
johannes
Blouin ? ... thats sounds very french ...

Do you have any Idea where your ancestors come from ?
Gilbert914
Great pictures thanks for sharing them smile.gif never been over for the tour, it always seems to clash with something else for me sad.gif , this year it's my wedding though smile.gif

I'll be travelling down to Golfe Juan on the south coast of France this weekend for my honeymoon, 1st stop Paris, then Lyon, then Roussillon, getting married this friday then start the honeymoon trip on staurday. I can't wait, lovely roads over there

My good lady chose the venue for the wedding, i chose the honeymoon biggrin.gif

Here is our chariot, for the trip (my other interest smile.gif )

IPB Image
Gustl
QUOTE(Gilbert914 @ Jul 4 2006, 11:20 AM) *

... never been over for the tour, it always seems to clash with something else for me ...

isn't it next year that the tour starts in London idea.gif
this would be your chance wink.gif

all the best for wedding and honeymoon thumb3d.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
johannes
Here is our chariot, for the trip (my other interest )

Nice ... chariot ! with a lot of horses hidden wink.gif

Enjoy your trip in France. bye1.gif
krazykonrad
Merci beaucoups for thenpictures! Tres cool!
Konrad 72/4
So.Cal.914
[quote name='johannes' date='Jul 1 2006, 09:16 AM' post='717568']
I am amazed how the tour de France has became popular in the US since Armstrong won it ... [quote name='Gustl' post='717531' date='Jul 1 2006, 06:59 AM']

Which time? rolleyes.gif
grantsfo

[quote name='So.Cal.914' date='Jul 4 2006, 07:42 PM' post='720135']
[quote name='johannes' date='Jul 1 2006, 09:16 AM' post='717568']
I am amazed how the tour de France has became popular in the US since Armstrong won it ... [quote name='Gustl' post='717531' date='Jul 1 2006, 06:59 AM']

Which time? rolleyes.gif
[/quote]

The tour was fairly popular in California when Jacques Boyer competed in 1981 for cyclists. After Greg Lemond won in 1986 the tour has been fairly popular in the States. Its been televised for over 20 years. Armstrong certaily helped bring The Tour to the general American population.

...I was an Eddy Merckx fan in the mid 1970's as a kid.
turboman808
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 4 2006, 07:57 PM) *

Few years ago someone said to me Lance was the greatest athlete ever. To that I said he wasn't even the greatest cyclist ever. Eddy was just a bike riding machine. I read somewhere he averaged a win a week for his entire career.

I'm a Ulrich fan myself. His timetrial in the 2003 tour was unreal. Lance almost killed himself to stay within a mintue of him. Also a fan on Pantani. Sad to see him go.
Flat VW
IPB Image

Good Day johannes!

I am sorry for the Bastille Day part.

John wavey.gif

johannes
Yep ! shouldn't go to work today ... bus as I am an artist, I am my own boss, and I decided to work today sad.gif ... headbang.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE(johannes @ Jul 14 2006, 07:30 AM) *

Yep ! shouldn't go to work today ... bus as I am an artist, I am my own boss, and I decided to work today sad.gif ... headbang.gif

Your boss is not nice. mad.gif

John
1bad914
My son went to the tour last year, he went to the mountain stages, he rode up them before race went thru, he said it was almost impossible and he is a Cat 2 rider. He is in a produced video of last years race, he was taking pictures of Lance as he went by and the announcer made a comment that that spectator was too close...thats my son. He said it was the best thing he has ever done!
grantsfo
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Jul 4 2006, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 4 2006, 07:57 PM) *

Few years ago someone said to me Lance was the greatest athlete ever. To that I said he wasn't even the greatest cyclist ever. Eddy was just a bike riding machine. I read somewhere he averaged a win a week for his entire career.

I'm a Ulrich fan myself. His timetrial in the 2003 tour was unreal. Lance almost killed himself to stay within a mintue of him. Also a fan on Pantani. Sad to see him go.

I think Lance is the most inspirational athelete ever. I have a good sense of what is like to compete at a international level in this sport and I know what aggressive chemo therapy, radiation and surgery does to ones physical and mental abilities. Lance also is the first one to say Eddy was the best ever, however I would agree he was one of the best atheletes ever. He brought a whole new training displine to cycling, he innovated new techniques and his consitency in winning the tour was an incredible accomplishment. To have these accomplishments after almost dying from cancer is super human.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.