Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle return springs on a 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I have a 1.8. The accelerator pedal is sticky and hard to press. I thought it was a kinked cable. I see there are 2 return springs on the throttle body. One is integreted on the body. I have an additional spring at the top pulling also. This spring is a pretty tough one. I removed it. The pedal tension is a little light but I like it better than being so damn stiff. Are there supposed to be 2 springs? Do I really need the second one?

Mark
SLITS
The second spring that runs from the throttle body lever to the rear tin was a "safety improvement" called the "supplementary return spring". It was put there in case the main return spring (on shaft) broke, which must have happened to someone.

If it's stiff be happy....uhhhhhh.....there is something else amiss.

1.) sticking throttle shaft from debri buildup.

2.) throttle cable housing / throttle cable kinked

3.) debri / bad bushing on the bellcrank (behind the floor board)

4.) etc
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 1 2006, 06:57 AM) *

The second spring that runs from the throttle body lever to the rear tin was a "safety improvement" called the "supplementary return spring". It was put there in case the main return spring (on shaft) broke, which must have happened to someone.

If it's stiff be happy....uhhhhhh.....there is something else amiss.

1.) sticking throttle shaft from debri buildup.

2.) throttle cable housing / throttle cable kinked

3.) debri / bad bushing on the bellcrank (behind the floor board)

4.) etc

Thanks for the reply Ron. The stifness on my THROTTLE CABLE is from the return spring and not the other things you mentioned. If this is only for safety, it is really overkill.
jim_hoyland
Kinda of a coincidence; I'm having the same issue after having shop replace the cable; was looking at the same sping wondering why it's there.

How much difference did removing make for you ?
SLITS
You can put a lighter spring on the assembly.....they should be avaiable at most any FLAPS.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 1 2006, 01:28 PM) *

Kinda of a coincidence; I'm having the same issue after having shop replace the cable; was looking at the same sping wondering why it's there.

Hi Jim.

The pedal is kinda loose. I am going to wait out the weekend just to make sure I am happy without it. I may make an extension so it just pulls a little with the throttle closed. My spring was stretched alot with throttle closed. I have a spare throttle body. Even on that one, the hole is a little elongated from wear from the spring.

Mark
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 1 2006, 04:29 PM) *

Hi Jim.

The pedal is kinda loose. I am going to wait out the weekend just to make sure I am happy without it. I may make an extension so it just pulls a little with the throttle closed. My spring was stretched alot with throttle closed. I have a spare throttle body. Even on that one, the hole is a little elongated from wear from the spring.

Mark

Mark,
Went down to check out my spring, took it off and I don't see how the spring could add any additional load ? It' just holding the TB arm out??
JoeSharp
Mark: I was watching this thread to see where it went. Just courious cause I had an incedance with my duel springs. It seems that at some time the factory had inadvertently hooked the duel springs to the positive and negitave sides of the injectores. Unknowingly they had discorved the Flux-capasitor. By charging the inner spring positive and the inner spring netiviage they had reversived the polarity of the ions and charged them negitave and created the frist Flux-Capasator.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 1 2006, 08:27 PM) *

Mark: I was watching this thread to see where it went. Just courious cause I had an incedance with my duel springs. It seems that at some time the factory had inadvertently hooked the duel springs to the positive and negitave sides of the injectores. Unknowingly they had discorved the Flux-capasitor. By charging the inner spring positive and the inner spring netiviage they had reversived the polarity of the ions and charged them negitave and created the frist Flux-Capasator.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

So that would explain all those time shifting experiences I have been having!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 1 2006, 06:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 1 2006, 04:29 PM) *

Hi Jim.

Mark

Mark,
Went down to check out my spring, took it off and I don't see how the spring could add any additional load ? It' just holding the TB arm out??

I don't know how yours is hooked up. Mine had the spring on the throttle body at the top of the arm. The other end is on the rear engine tin. The tension was so strong that is fully pulled the arm to the rear. Maybe this was a spring the PO installed and not an origonal one. Now that it is removed, the pedal feels much easier to press. My cable is kinked somewhat. I can now feel these as sections a little stiffer at times. For me, the improvement is big and I will keep the extra spring out. Eventually my 2.0 will go back in and I will replace the cable at that time. For now, I am a happy camper! piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.