Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Flares and Fuchs Wheels - Any help?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mark77
I'm putting steel GT flares on my '73 1.7 L, and want to know what kind of new wheels I could potentially put on after the flares are on. I'm looking at 15" 5-stud Fuchs off early 911's right now. Which brings up another issue - has anybody done the 4-stud to 5-stud conversion? I found a conversion kit online for $500 or so (PMB Performance) that includes re-drilled rotors. Is this going to be easy? What kind of rims will fit (i.e. fill out the fenders but not TOO big). (You can tell I'm new at this-just looking for some direction). Any help appreciated.
msglaigaie
One of our own guys does a four to five changeover. You might want to look at his stuff first, before you make a buy. The cryogenic rotors are a pretty good deal. Take a look thru the club store. Good stuff. MSG L
SirAndy
QUOTE(mark77 @ Jul 1 2006, 02:21 PM) *

I'm putting steel GT flares on my '73 1.7 L, and want to know what kind of new wheels I could potentially put on after the flares are on. I'm looking at 15" 5-stud Fuchs off early 911's right now. Which brings up another issue - has anybody done the 4-stud to 5-stud conversion? I found a conversion kit online for $500 or so (PMB Performance) that includes re-drilled rotors. Is this going to be easy? What kind of rims will fit (i.e. fill out the fenders but not TOO big). (You can tell I'm new at this-just looking for some direction). Any help appreciated.

i'd say, if you're going through all the trouble to put steel flares on your car, go and get a real 911 suspension ...

the complete 911 frontend is a direct bolt-in and the rear can be converted to run real 911 5-lug hubs ... no drilling the rotors etc. needed ...

if you go real 5-lug, the 7" x 15 and 8" x 15 fuchs is a nice combo for the GT-Flares. run those with 1" spacers and you'll have a nice looking car ...
smile.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
anthony
16x7/8 also work, give one more tire choices, but also cost a lot more. Personally I like the lower profile look of a 16. You could also do an aftermarket 17" wheel - Fikse, BBS, etc. or even Lindsay welded 17" Fuchs.
dekman
I agree with Andy....911 front susp bolts on! Upgrade your brakes at the same time....I have steel flares welded on with 16x8, 16x10's(but I have extra 2" welded in the rear flares). biggrin.gif
GeorgeRud
I have the GT flares on my 914-6 conversion, and use 7 & 8x15 Fuchs. The rears are very filled out, the fronts could still be wider, but I'd worry about steering geometry with that much offset to the outside (Fuchs - almost all their width increase to the outside edge).

The conversion using an entire 911 front end is the best way to go. At least, use the 911 struts with the 5 bolt lug setup and better brakes. The ball joints are the same with the later 914s (73 on I think).
Aaron Cox
8's all around is a better use of the flare....
8's and 9's if you can stomach the price of 9's....

they fit fine
Joe Bob
My last flared ride had 7s and 8s, 225s up front and 245s in the rear....an additional one inch spacer required the lip on the inside of the rears to be ground off....
So.Cal.914
If you go with the drilled rotors, when it is time to replace them you are going to

be stuck with the added expence of drilling the new ones. And you will still have

the same brakes. Listen to the wise men..
jasons
So what has better tire availability.... 16x7's and 8's or 15x7's and 8's?
Joe Bob
16s.....but even THEY are getting low choice when compared to 17s
jasons
QUOTE("Z" @ Jul 2 2006, 08:23 AM) *

I guess I knew that, what I should have asked is.... How bad is the tire selection for 15x7's and 8's? I'm in the market for some wider fuchs and I haven't even considered 15's.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(jasons @ Jul 2 2006, 08:33 AM) *

QUOTE("Z" @ Jul 2 2006, 08:23 AM) *

I guess I knew that, what I should have asked is.... How bad is the tire selection for 15x7's and 8's? I'm in the market for some wider fuchs and I haven't even considered 15's.

225's on 8's gives you a perfectly straight sidewall... anything bigger than that and you lose the sidewall advantage, by having a big bulge......

205's on 7's are just right also IMHO....

plenty of tire in those sizes...

i have 205/50 and 225/50
Joe Bob
I use 245s and 225s on 7s and 8s...BUT I use 45 series. No bulge and don't look like the big balloon tires from the 70s.....

Anybody remember G-60-15s with raised white letters?

...they was da schizzle in 1978....most of dweebs wasn't even born then....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.