Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice on installingAlt Hose
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanStott
Almost drove a screwdriver through my hand trying to get that little hose for the alternator cooling air in place! Any tricks, do I have the wrong size, am I just inept??? I tried heating it up to make it softer, I put oil on the edges to make it slippery aahhhhhh, maybe I should take up knitting or something less frustrating. I do love my car though, I am just venting to people who understand, wife holleres at me in the garage to watch my language! All responses appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Allan
Which end are you having trouble with?

The one at the alternator or the one at the fan shroud?

Did you take out the metal retainer?
IanStott
The round part is giving me a hard time, and yes I took out the retainer clip. The alternator end is oval shaped and won't be a problem as it has an oval shaped clamp that you can loosen to the point of removing it.

Ian
Allan
IIRC I ended up putting the alternator end on first.

Seemed like it took me awhile of just working around the edge and stuffing it in.
IanStott
Any chance there's 2 different sizes? Seems unlikely but this one which I have jammed in the hole is less than a perfect fit. The oval shaped end which is on the alternator fits just fine. The bigger issue is these are getting harder to find, Jake has some, that's where I got this one, but eventually we are going to run out.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Allan
I believe that they are not all created equal.

The one I took off of my 2 liter fit really well but I ended up tearing it (that's why I asked about the retainer headbang.gif ).

I got a replacement and it was way smaller in diameter than the original.
IanStott
Mine is a 74 with the 1.8, where did you get your hose that fit?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Allan
Never ended up finding one the correct size. I ended up adding a ridge of rtv around the edge to help it seal at the fan shroud.
jk76.914
There are definitely two sizes. I got a new one a few years ago from Stoddard, and it was definitely smaller than the original one on my '76. The spring clip on the fan end is smaller as well. I lucked out because I was rebuilding with an earlier fan housing anyway, to get rid of the AIR pump mounts on the top, and the used housing I bought had a torn boot, but with a good clip in it. So I ended up by dumb luck with a complete set of parts.

Can't visualize how you would get yours out of the fan housing from the alternator side, without something tearing or deforming. That's because there's a retainer clip that goes in the boot from the fan side after the boot is installed there. For the same reason, I can't see how you can install a new one from the alternator side- there's no way to put the retainer clip into the boot, except from the fan side, AFTER the hose is installed. Unless you go without the retainer.

Maybe someone can comment on whether you really need that retainer clip or not? Or whether you can preinstall the clip into the hose and then get it into the fan housing?

If you're only changing your alternator, you need to remove the hose end from the alternator, and leave it on the cooling housing.

That may be why yours tore coming off, because the retainer clip was holding it in. And, if you removed yours and tore it, you may have a loose clip under the fan somewhere.

I found one source of new boots, but they're probably the smaller ones, and they don't list the clip. All the clip is is a C-shaped piece of springy steel wire....

http://www.bughaus.com/type222.htm

good luck.... Jim
IanStott
When I took the engine out I noticed the hose was torn. I took all the tin off, got it powder coated, and sent the starter and alternator out to be redone. Also the shroud and fan cleaned up and powder coated. when chatting with Jake I mentioned I was having trouble sourcing the little hose, he sent me one. Since everything was apart it was the best time to do this, I'm thinking that all hoses are not exactly the same as mentioned here, I will try to get the right one, this one will work better than what was there before ( ripped one ) but the proper one is what I will strive for. Thanks for the link. Since it is a long weekend here in Canada as well, I will probably have to wait til Tuesday to see if I can get one. No problem with that, quite a ways to go before engine goes back in. By the way did you experience oil leaking out of the valve covers when engine tipped say 45 to 90 degrees? Mine is on an engine stand right now and it leaks when I tip it. I did overfill it on purpose as it is just sitting and will drain oil to the proper level before starting, I thought this was not a bad idea for a stored engine. Your thoughts??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
jk76.914
Here's a better link....

http://www.bus-boys.com/charging79.html

also-

http://www.bus-boys.com/aircoolsystem.html

Looks like two boots (item H in the first link)- one for 55 amp alternator, the other for optional 70 amp alternator (and 914?). The latter is NLA from these guys, but it may be the one you want. Looks like they do have used parts, and it might be worth a call. Lots more used VW Type 2's than 914's out there.

Neither of these links show the C shaped wire clip that goes on the inside of the boot at the fan shroud, but these guys may have one new or used.

Valve covers shouldn't leak. Even submerged in oil. You'd better double check the gasket seating. I put a thin film of RTV on both sides before assembly. I can get away with it because I have a hydraulic cam and don't have to take them off often.

Don't tell Jake about my cam.....

Jim
So.Cal.914
If your gaskets are ok on the valve covers, an observation I have made over

the years is some people will use sealer on their valve covers than when it

is time to adjust the valves they have to pry them off. This prying can mis-shape

the lip on the cover. Then no matter what you do they will leak. Something to

check.

When trying to install rubber pieces I use alcohol instead of oil, the alcohol is slick on rubber

but will evaporate after you are done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.