Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAAAAAAH!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
any suggestions? i have tried flipping them around. changing them from their designated cylinder and i can't get the leak to stop. is on the 1 & 2 side. yes i have new copper gaskets and yes i am using sealant between the header and the stub. i an at my wits end....

but at least the trany works now!!!

cheers,

scott
Allan
Have you checked to see if the mating surface of the h/e's are flat?

I had the same problem and had to take a big ass file and smooth them out.
nebreitling
you're installing a header? and the leak is between the stub pipe and the cylinder head? or between the stub pipe and the primary?

if it's a leak between the stub pipe and the cylinder head, and it's an aftermarket header, be sure that the 'ears' off the stub pipe are not too long -- thus preventing the mouth of the stub pipe from seating onto the copper gasket. i had to grind one ear down once to get the stub pipe to seat properly on my euro race header.

also, as you already know, the stub pipes ARE specific to one side or another. the difference is slight, but it's there.

i personally wouldn't bother using any sealant. don't see the purpose, nor how it would possibly hold up in that environment.

also, the copper exhaust gaskets DO have a bottom/top (on one side the edge is sharp; on the other it's slightly rounded -- though i forget what the orientation should be).

if everything is correct, then a generous tap of with 10 lb rubber mallet and a small amount of torque on the exhaust studs (with fresh copper nuts) should be all that's needed.
914fan
Is it at the head or at the end of the stub pipe? If it is at the head try 2 copper gaskets. Is it both ports, or just 1?

Just remember that as the days grow more complicated, the night life still wins!!!
nebreitling
oh yeah, ditto what allan said. run a sharpie across the top of the mouth, then file flat.
nebreitling
QUOTE(914fan @ Jul 1 2006, 03:23 PM) *

If it is at the head try 2 copper gaskets. Is it both ports, or just 1?

really? my sense of propriety rebels, but ymmv. in anycase, copious consumption of beer will assuredly help beer3.gif
scottb
in anycase, copious consumption of beer will assuredly help beer3.gif

all over that already!!! beerchug.gif

i will go at this again tomorrow and readjust the valves as well. now have a back fire on decel.....

it is an aftermarket header. the leak near as i can tell is on the #2 cylinder and it has the proper stub pipe. tried another but it made no difference.

i may give 'em a go with a file tomorrow.

at least the thing runs and goes roomy zoom zoom!!! only a bit of fine tuning and i am mobile!!!!

thanks for the input guys....

914fan
whats YMMV?
If using 2 gaskets works then you either have a deapth problem at the exhaust port ( cut to deep or missing its seat ) or your ears might be to close to the head or more likely the studs were not inserted tapped deep enough into the head. Either way just run it with the 2 gaskets or file down the ears to allow deeper penetration.

For now go enjoy some Boat drinks.
scottb
YMMV

your mileage may vary......

BOAT DRINKS!!

boys in the band ordered

BOAT DRINKS!!!!

visitors scored on the home rink

everything seems to be wrong.....

screw it, 2 coppers and call it a day. i am tired of this shit and just want to drive anyway......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.