Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: valve adjustments on a four
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
when adjusting the valves...
where should the rotor be positioned?
greg adjusted where the spark would fire...is this correct?
any further ideas???
he jsut rebuilt the heads and the number one cylinder is not sealing
the heads are torgued to 28 foot pounds.....
SLITS
You need to make sure the lifter is sitting on the heel of the cam when you are adjusting.

The easiest method to me is the opposite valve method....Cap'N Krusty claims this one as his own. Each lobe of the cam operates two lifters. They are "opposite" each other in the engine layout. Because of this, if the exhaust valve is fully open on one side of the engine (rocker arm fully depressing valve head, lifter is on nose of cam), it stands to reason it's opposite on the other side of the engine is on the heel of the cam and ready for adjustment.

redshift
Take covers off, block one wheel, roll other wheel til rocker is all the way in on a cyl, then adjust opposing valve... make sense?

Slow assed old man... me Ron, not you...

NOSE, not HEEL..

M
SLITS
Damn Miles, you didn't have to make it so simple. This is, afterall, a "technical site". av-943.gif
pete-stevers
thanks jerry...er ...miles..
JPB
There has been alot written about this topic and Pelican Parts has a whole write up on it for you. My friend came over last week to help me bleed my brake lines when I asked him how he adjusted his valves. He said, "when one valve is at it's top rocking position, you just adjust the other with the feeler guage." It sounds so symple and straight forward. When your intake valve is open fully, then your exhaust valve should be closed and visa versa; I figured he was some kinda genious or something. Noone else explained it like that before.

idea.gif HELP US BOTH WITH SOME COMMENTS!!!!!
redshift
My valves are so loose right now, they tinkle like a comb on accel til they get hot.

smile.gif

M
SLITS
loose valve setting....a little noisy

tight valve setting......burned valve head or worse

I always started up a new engine with the valves loose and after the heat cycle went to a tighter setting but still looser than specified. If it calls for 0.006" and 0.008", I set 0.007" and 0.009".

JPB
Hmm, mozt inkterestink! Hoo voolda nowwn!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.