Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attention REAL mechanics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimtab
confused24.gif Need some help to finish my fuel line replacement project brought on by multiple failures in the last 3 days...when people tell you to not use worm drive clamps...believe it, I had 2 failures in 2 days...the second was real close to being a BBQ. So, I obtain the correct hose, and the correct (pricey) clamps and start in the engine bay, and eventually get all the lines replaced in there, new clamps and all...then the trouble starts...put the car on stands and remove the fuel pump...not making any notes as to which hose went where, etc. I mean, what could go wrong I get a gas bath because I don't have the correct size "stoppers for the live lines and that was a treat. After I clean up that mess, I can no longer remember the correct hookup for the lines. I am about 90% sure that the return connection goes to the wye in the return line, and my guess in maybe suction goes to the line from the tank, and the damper? line goes into the connection for the fuel rail...is this correct? Is there anything else to be aware of? Am I completely over my head? Do I need to change to a civic wagon from now on? Am I just too stupid to live(has my wife been right all this time?) or am I just going thru what everyone goes thru when they try to fix a problem for the first time....VERY frustrating. Oh and I have two wires that go to the pump a red one and another one...any idea of the polarity or do I just have a 50/50 chance and then I can switch.....god I hate laying under cars on cement. I think it's time for a little encouragement from the Modelo Brewery....Jim
redshift
-bitch slaps jim-

CALM DOWN!

smile.gif

M
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jul 1 2006, 08:41 PM) *

confused24.gif Need some help to finish my fuel line replacement project brought on by multiple failures in the last 3 days...when people tell you to not use worm drive clamps...believe it, I had 2 failures in 2 days...the second was real close to being a BBQ. So, I obtain the correct hose, and the correct (pricey) clamps and start in the engine bay, and eventually get all the lines replaced in there, new clamps and all...then the trouble starts...put the car on stands and remove the fuel pump...not making any notes as to which hose went where, etc. I mean, what could go wrong I get a gas bath because I don't have the correct size "stoppers for the live lines and that was a treat. After I clean up that mess, I can no longer remember the correct hookup for the lines. I am about 90% sure that the return connection goes to the wye in the return line, and my guess in maybe suction goes to the line from the tank, and the damper? line goes into the connection for the fuel rail...is this correct? Is there anything else to be aware of? Am I completely over my head? Do I need to change to a civic wagon from now on? Am I just too stupid to live(has my wife been right all this time?) or am I just going thru what everyone goes thru when they try to fix a problem for the first time....VERY frustrating. Oh and I have two wires that go to the pump a red one and another one...any idea of the polarity or do I just have a 50/50 chance and then I can switch.....god I hate laying under cars on cement. I think it's time for a little encouragement from the Modelo Brewery....Jim

You are right on the plumbing. S is the suction line from the bottom of the tank. D is "Druck" which is German for Pressure, and it goes to the engine to supply pressure. R is the return line. It hooks to the Y which is in the return line.

AS for the wiring, there should be a black with a red striped wire that is the fuel pump power lead, and a brown wire which should be the fuel pump negative lead. The pump is marked with a + for positive and a - for negative. poke.gif

jimtab
Thanks Clay, I owe ya one. Just needed to be sure before I tucked it in before the final get-ready for WCC. Are you gonna make it? Thanks again. Jim
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jul 1 2006, 11:04 PM) *

Thanks Clay, I owe ya one. Just needed to be sure before I tucked it in before the final get-ready for WCC. Are you gonna make it? Thanks again. Jim

Nope. I have to stay here and work, both at my paying job and on some 914s.

So.Cal.914
You didn't need a mechanic, you needed a repair manual. Now go have fun..
jimtab
Got the manual, can read...short on understanding...better now, had a pair of bad wires coming into the fuel pump which have to be replaced...the fun never ends.
jimtab
It is Alive....all buttoned up and ready for the Caravan to WCC06..woohoo....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.