Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange steering thing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
retrotech
I went for a fairly aggressive, twisty drive last evening. I did some hard braking from over 100 mph. On the last stop, I felt something different in front, right wheel. I figured it was starting to lock up a bit. Everything felt the same. Today I go for a drive on the highway, and notice my steering wheel is now 2 clicks to the right, when car is tracking straight ahead. When steering wheel is straight, I'm changing lanes to the left.
What could have happened? I seems to drive fine, doesn't pull, but steering wheel angle has definately changed.
Any ideas?
drive-ability
QUOTE(retrotech @ Jul 1 2006, 08:51 PM) *

I went for a fairly aggressive, twisty drive last evening. I did some hard braking from over 100 mph. On the last stop, I felt something different in front, right wheel. I figured it was starting to lock up a bit. Everything felt the same. Today I go for a drive on the highway, and notice my steering wheel is now 2 clicks to the right, when car is tracking straight ahead. When steering wheel is straight, I'm changing lanes to the left.
What could have happened? I seems to drive fine, doesn't pull, but steering wheel angle has definately changed.
Any ideas?

I can't say whats wrong but the pressure applied to the front end while braking from high speed can cause things to be highly stressed. I for one would be taking a look at the front end for sure right away. safety first flag.gif
-JR-
QUOTE(retrotech @ Jul 1 2006, 08:51 PM) *

Any ideas?

I'd guess I frozen caliper.... But I'm "guessing". Check the wheel temps left and right after a road test. It's a quick check at least.

-JR-
SirAndy
tie rod came lose and is unscrewing itself?

confused24.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
The preasures associated with breaking the sound barrier can be tremendous

and damage can occure, or it could be that cat you ran over. But what Andy said

makes more sense.
JPB
Could be Crazy glue on your steering wheel and its coming LOOSE! These cars had like multiple owners so nothing is impossible!

WTF.gif Why are all my wires all the same color?
retrotech
Not a frozen caliper, it drivews & brakes fine. How could high speed braking cause a tie rod end to unscrew?
Katmanken
Iffin it was me,

I 'd just jack the sucker up in the air and do a little look see....

Aint that many parts associated with one front wheel.

And, while you are under there, check the rear trailing arms. Having a rear mounting point break might make the car track different.

Or, the bolts holding the steering rack are loose and shifted...

Or some rust let go....

Or...

Ken
Joe Bob
Probably an alignment issue. Take it and have it up on the rack and check specs.
So.Cal.914
Hard driving and hard braking can cause vibration and stresses that can loosen

just about anything, it's not a spring chicken anymore. Alot of racers will check

every bolt before the next race and it is not uncommon for them to find something

to tighten.
retrotech
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 2 2006, 11:49 AM) *

Hard driving and hard braking can cause vibration and stresses that can loosen

just about anything, it's not a spring chicken anymore. Alot of racers will check

every bolt before the next race and it is not uncommon for them to find something

to tighten.

I have a DE day coming up, so I shoould be glad this happened now. With 13.7" GTP brakes, and 235/17 Toyo RA1 tires, I have serious deceleration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.