Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory Mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
confused24.gif Other than a slight difference in size, are there any other differences?

This is why I ask:
I have 2. I took them apart and cleaned them. I set one up to be a passenger side and the other to be driver side.
The driver's side mirror moves freely up and down and pivots in & out.
The passenger side rotates up & down, but the in & out is fixed to one of 6 positions. It has a hex-type fitting inside
and only moves when the arm is taken off and moved to the next position.

Any thoughts? confused24.gif
Bleyseng
There are early and late mirrors but I haven't taken them apart to see if there is any internal differences.
I have never seen the factory optional passenger mirror either, most guys just use a drivers mirror.

Geoff
914werke
I concur with Geoff Early and late differance, outwardly anyway, was the angle of the dangle laugh.gif In othewords when mounted to the stock location holes the mirror was at right angle to the door or driver as opposed to slightly drooped in the early mirrors.
Ive taken apart many, early and late but dont recall finding any that didnt "swivel" on both axis freeley.
BTW Generally detents for the holes on the Pass side are already there ready to be drilled through.
Aaron Cox
wink.gif and, passenger side mirrors had concave glass.
seanery
I got to thinking about it and it bothered me that the mirror didn't swing in/out. So, I took it apart again. I tapped out the Hex insert and lubed the thing up and put it back in and voila, swings in and out. smilie_pokal.gif
Curvie Roadlover
There was also a difference in early and late mirrors in the bend of the post. Early mirrors have a 90 degree bend with relatively sharp corners as if a piece of tube was cut a ta 45 degree angle and then welded together to make a 90 degree bend. The late mirrors are more as if they were bent in a pipe bender.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.