Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recommendations when to add extra cooling?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
I've just started running my new motor which is a 2.2 and change with a compression ratio of about 9.5:1.

I have a good VDO temp gauge and it's sensor installed in the sump of the engine. I've been finding temperatures of up to 220F on the motor under street driving conditions. I've also noted a loss of HP at these temperatures I believe. I've heard no engine pinging at these higher temperatures though.

My plugs show that I am not to lean or too rich but just right.

Does anyone have some feedback for me on when I should suppliment the factory cooler? Or should the factor fan and cooler be sufficient to do the job?

PS - If you think an extra cooler is in order, is there anything out there that would be ideal for a rear mounted cooler? IE not chopping the front trunk.

THanks!

I also just took some shots of the new ride today too...
Pics before I raised the front end.

-JR-
newto914s
I'm not 100% certian, but I think a lot of folks like to keep their oil between 180-210F. Search though,their are a ton of theads on the topic.
As far a recommendations, I would recommend you install a Cylinder Head Temp Gauge, and place the sender under the #3 spark plug. VDO makes one(not the most accurate), and Westach(better), and others that are digital and such.
Your Head Temps vary much more and are as important(if not more) than you oil temps. 10 minutes up a small hill in 5th can stress and overheat your heads, and never show up in you Oil Temps gauge.
Good luck. Your car looks great!
Samson
-JR-
Read through a bunch of posts before I posted this topic and you are right, it seems to be 180 --> 210 is the "chery" spot. Mine has been exceeding this temperature on street driving and I'm thinking that when I autoX it, the stop and go activity is going to push it higher still. I might look into that head temp sensor. How is it mounted or do you know where I can see a photo of one installed?

-JR-

QUOTE(newto914s @ Jul 1 2006, 11:23 PM) *

I'm not 100% certian, but I think a lot of folks like to keep their oil between 180-210F. Search though,their are a ton of theads on the topic.
As far a recommendations, I would recommend you install a Cylinder Head Temp Gauge, and place the sender under the #3 spark plug. VDO makes one(not the most accurate), and Westach(better), and others that are digital and such.
Your Head Temps vary much more and are as important(if not more) than you oil temps. 10 minutes up a small hill in 5th can stress and overheat your heads, and never show up in you Oil Temps gauge.
Good luck. Your car looks great!
Samson

newto914s
This thead will give you an idea of were it goes. But I don't think you have to go through that much trouble. I just removed the crush washer from my #3 plug, and put the sender in it's place. It is a thermocouple so no need to power the gauge. Just run the line into the cabin(through the tunnel). And mount the gauge somewhere.
Stratplayer has a good picture of how he mounted it in this thread
So.Cal.914
Your oil is the life's blood of your engine, head temp is important but you want

to keep your bottom end happy. Oil cooler & T-stat is not a bad idea, mounting the cooler

in the rear is not uncommon but I have not seen many that allowed for the top.
-JR-
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 2 2006, 12:04 AM) *

Your oil is the life's blood of your engine, head temp is important but you want

to keep your bottom end happy. Oil cooler & T-stat is not a bad idea, mounting the cooler

Wasn't so interested in mounting it on top, but might install one for use in the rear of the car. Not ready to saw holes and install lines to the nose of the car until I do the 6.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(-JR- @ Jul 2 2006, 12:17 AM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 2 2006, 12:04 AM) *

Wasn't so interested in mounting it on top, but might install one for use in the rear of the car. Not ready to saw holes and install lines to the nose of the car until I do the 6.
LOL Not on top, in the trunk. And what I ment was that they don't care if the targa top fits in the trunk any longer.
-JR-
So.Cal.914 wrote " LOL Not on top, in the trunk. And what I ment was that they don't care if the targa top fits in the trunk any longer."

AH w00t.gif Ok, now I'm with you. I was refering to kits that mount under the body. I think I've seen kits out there for transmissions that mount any ole'where under neith the trunk or in a fender well on some race cars I've seen. If I went for a small supplimentary cooler I was thinking of something I can mount on the underside somewhere safely.

So with this post I'm trying to gauge if I should put one in and where I might install it.

-JR-
So.Cal.914
Well if it were me (and it was) I would put one in. Just keep in mind that where

ever you put it make sure it is protected. Mounted underneath or in a wheelwell

one strategicly placed object off the road can drain your oil before you know it.

And underneath there is hot, hot air through your oil cooler is not very effective.

Than again every little bit helps.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Think about a deep sump. I installed a new engine last winter,and wanted it to live as long as possible. If your ride is stock height there are no clearence problems i.e. speed bumps,driveways ect. It adds a qt. and a half extra oil and hangs down in the air stream more for better heat dissipation. Also run SYNTHETIC OIL , Jake recomends Royal Purple. This is my solutionto that problem. Temps never get over 200 to 220 on 90 dagree days driving 70 to 80 mph. Dave slap.gif
JPB
When schmit hits the fan?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.