Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twitching Gas Gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Hmmm, my gas guage has started to "twitch" while driving. It will be steady at half a tank, rapidly drop to a quarter then back to half. This all takes place at once, then it will stay steady and do it again. Any thoughts? Loose connection?
TIA Ferg.
Bleyseng
Hell, I thought that was normal.......
Air_Cooled_Nut
I know when that happens in an air-cooled VW it means there's a poor ground connection at the fuel level sender.
McMark
I agree, poor connection at the plug on top of the tank, or perhaps poor ground at the gauge?
SirAndy
btw. sort of off topic, the 911 gas gauge seems to use a very similar setup as the 914. it works perfectly in my car with the 914 sending unit.
4/4 on a full tank, idiot light comes on at R ...

just in case you were wondering wink.gif
Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 9 2003, 08:13 AM)
btw. sort of off topic, the 911 gas gauge seems to use a very similar setup as the 914. it works perfectly in my car with the 914 sending unit.
4/4 on a full tank, idiot light comes on at R ...

since you crept the thread here, let me ask - what model / part number is that guage ? the current guage in my '71 911 doesn't seem to have a light and i've had it down pretty darned low... wouldn't mind uprating to a guage with a light - or replacing the bulb, if it's supposed to have one already ... ("71 E owners' manuals seem to be NLA ...)
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 9 2003, 09:43 AM)
since you crept the thread here, let me ask - what model / part number is that guage ? the current guage in my '71 911 doesn't seem to have a light and i've had it down pretty darned low... wouldn't mind uprating to a guage with a light - or replacing the bulb, if it's supposed to have one already ... ("71 E owners' manuals seem to be NLA ...)

i have to look up the #.
but it was a later model (80 something) ...

Andy
philinjax
Ferg,

The jumpy gas gauge on the teener is caused by the level sensor in the tank. The fine, thin, resistive wires, that the "pick up" rubs against as the fuel level changes in the tank, gets dirty and sticky with years of fuel, water, crud. Therefore, the sudden jumps on the fuel leverl gauge. (Check out Page 130 of the Haynes Manual.) I have taken the level sensors apart and cleaned the resistive wires with fine steel wool. The gas gauge then works smoothly, like new.

Phil
Triadwest
I recently installed a different gauge in my 914. I thought the oil temp would be cool, and the gauge was here and free. The old fuel gauge read perfect, The new one is fun because when I get to a quarter tank, the light comes on. Then the light goes off and 50 miles down the road the fuel pump to the carbs starts to scream and I am out of fuel.I think the gauge is messed up because the grounds are good and the sender always worked well.
I'll be putting the old one back in to see if I am right.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 9 2003, 09:43 AM)
since you crept the thread here, let me ask - what model / part number is that guage ?

rich, the gauge reads:

911 641 202 29

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.