Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP - Stuff in the Oil???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KenH
I need a little help.

I have what appers to be aluminum (or maybe bearing material) in the engine oil at the 1st, 2nd & 3rd oil changes. It is not magnetic. When I look at the oil in the drain pan it looks like metalic paint in that the material swrils around.

This is happening in fresh rebuilt motors. I have rebuilt two different 2.0 motors twice, and still have the problem. Both motors are stock with WEB cams and lifters, melling oil pump. They are identical except one has the WEBCAM cam GEAR and the other has an original cam gear.

The first motor had a bad bearing when I tore it down. Rebuilds 2, 3, 4 looked great when they were torn down.

I do not know the source of the "stuff" in the oil.

Has anybody had this problem??

Ken
Slowpoke
Get an oil analysis, then you will know what you have. But it doesn't sound good to me. sad.gif
Slowpoke
Damn, I sent the message off too soon. Also cut the oil filter open and see what is in there. That can also be sent off with the oil.
joea9146
Where the distributor gear sits inside the case.... do you have the washer under the gear... this prevents the shaft from eating through the case .
KenH
Have washer - this stuff can be see with only 100 miles on the motors.

Ken
Brad Roberts
What color is your assembly lube ??

B
Anton
I would bet on bearing material...

What make and size did you use?
dryheat914
Get oil analisis,
I could get this done for you for nothing if you local.
a lot of aluminum on each rebuild.....I would have the crank double checked and see if you wearing through the tin and aluminum....Just a thought...
KenH
Assembly Lube - Lets see - Torco Red molly on one motor, Stalube Black Molly, on one motor, Zep 2000 Teflon on one motor. Torco Red Sticky for the Cams.

Bearings - K&S for the mains, Glyco for the rods, all bearing halves plastigaged at 0.0015-0.002.

Any place in the SF Bay Area that does oil analysis??

Ken
EdwardBlume
Sorry to hear this is happening to you Ken. Good luck with it.
Brad Roberts
DUH. I just figured out who KenH was.. hey Ken clap56.gif

B
Anton
Frankly, I am only familiair with bearings from Porsche and those supplied by BAS in Germany; never any problems there. Dunno about K&S and Glyco, but perhaps someone else has a comment on that.

I hope you can fix the problem without another rebuild... sad.gif
dryheat914
Ken,
I work for our local Caterpillar dealer.(Empire)
From what I understand every Cat dealer offers this service for heavy machinery but they also do this for race teams and civil companies. I checked the Cat dealer locator. You got Peterson in San Leandro, Santa Rosa and Holt in Stockton.

This is a great service if you start with a fresh rebuild and sample at every oil change, you can get an idea of whats happening inside your engine as it ages.

Good luck!
KenH
Thanks for all the comments.

I have a Peterson dealer about 10 minutes from here in San Martin - I will check them out.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.