Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need a step exhaust stud....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
found my exhaust leak and was getting things put back together and hmmm.... exhaust nut won't tighten.... well let me see if i have that nut on there right.... hmmmm... don't think the stud is supposed to pop out like that..... dry.gif

anyway. where are the resources for a step stud or does anyone have one they want to sell?

and i also need a good resource for a helicoil kit. last time this happened ed morrow (ejm) was kind enough to give me a hand. distance makes that an issue this time.

anyone know a good place to buy the kit?

cheers and i guess i am done wrenching today huh??? beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

cheers,

scott
Aaron Cox
call RABY or FAT performance

they can overnight you one no problem
scottb
thanks aaron... sent an email to jake.

what size helicoil kit will i need? i see some that say you can keep the same thread but last time this happened, i used a step stud. the nut is a 12mm, so the threading is the same? and is it coarse or fine thread? i feel the need to order the correct item the first time. call me particular.....

cheers,

scott
nebreitling
if you use a step-up stud, you can just tap the hole 1mm greater. because the threads are a little thin with a 1mm step-up, i'd apply a bit of JB-weld to the new stud.

to sink a heli-coil/timesert might require a larger hole -- so make sure it goes well!

i've seen step-up studs at ACE hardware, and i've also gotten some from Rich at HPH.
scottb
i will look at ace...

jakes is closed until 7/14..... DOH!! headbang.gif

would the helicoil kits be at a better FLAPS?

cheers,

scott
Bartlett 914
I used a "Keylock Insert". I got it from McMaster Carr. It is a lot better than a Helicoil (IMO). It is stainless steel. Like a helicoil, you drill it out larger then it is tapped. The insert is screwed in the hole. The insert has 4 keys that are driven in by a special tool. These keys are driven in through the larger thread locking the insert in place. I needed to grind the bottom of the tap to insure the thread was deep enough. Whatever you use, Be sure you do not drill too deep.

Mark
scottb
what is the thread pitch on the studs?

ejm
thread pitch is 8 X 1.25

the helicoil kit I used came from Autozone. it comes with the tap and installation tool, it will have the drill size on the side of the tap. drill slowly and stop to check often, same with running the tap in.
scottb
woo hoo! beer.gif

thanks ed. how are things in MA? has summer arrived yet? may be up that way in the near future. will have to drop by and say hello. slap.gif

drill slow.... i remember watching you drill out the stud... i was wondering when the action was gonna start!!!! slow and steady, slow and steady....

cheers,

scott
Dr Evil
Step up studs can be had at any air cooled VW shop...I may still have one, but you do not want ot wait wink.gif

Hows that tranny?

Hi Ed!
McMark
If you measure the depth of the existing hole and then wrap a bit of tape around your drill bit to mark that depth you won't drill too far. Measure twice, drill once. 8x1.25 Helicoil kits should be available at your FLAPS. But get ready for a little sticker shock. IIRC, they're usually around $40. ohmy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.