Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headliner - present or not in '70 /6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
smontanaro
My 1970 914/6 doesn't have the glued-in felt headliner I've seen on many other cars. Is it supposed to have one or not?

Thx,

Skip
sixerdon
NOT.

Don
Pat Garvey
I bring this "gem from the past" back up, because I think it needs more discussion.

Besides, I'm still learning
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
My '70/4, build date 01/1970, never had the roof liner. I don't believe the real early cars had it installed. That add was probably an assembly line item that was a "running" improvement as the parts and/or material came available. Though my car has the "appearance group", it arrived at the dealer w/o fog lights. The fog lights, correct grilles, and switch were installed by the dealer. I figure the missing fog lights were the result of parts not available yet as the 914 assembly line was being ramped up.

Paul
Porsche Rescue
I have owned several '70 sixes, three '70 fours and one '71 four. None had a headliner. Does the '72 have it Pat?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jul 2 2006, 01:56 PM) *

My 1970 914/6 doesn't have the glued-in felt headliner I've seen on many other cars. Is it supposed to have one or not?

Thx,

Skip

early sixes did not later ones in 1970 and then up all had them. Running improvement. We usually think that around number 9140430680 is when they started to add the headliner the driving lights and the rear carpet securing tabs but of course nothing is for sure
sixerdon
According to Restorer's Guide to Authenticity book, (George?) and I quote, "The earliest 914's and 914/6s and all 1970 and 1971 914s without appearance group had no headliner." All I can add is my own experience with my own 914's since the 70's. My current /6s, #0137 and #0876 do not have a headliner. Back in the '70s I owned #1900 and it had no headliner. It was built 05/70. Two '71/4 parts cars I have with the appearance group, have the headliner. More feedback from owners of 914's built after May/70 are needed to pinpoint the change.

All my sixes that I've owned have the driving lights, although my early ones could have been added by the owner or dealer when they were new and sold in May/70.

George, where are the "rear carpet securing tabs"?

Don
smg914
QUOTE(sixerdon @ May 24 2009, 06:39 AM) *

George, where are the "rear carpet securing tabs"?

Don

You can see where one of them is located just in front of the passenger seat cushion in the photo below.
sixerdon
Steve, he mentions a "rear carpet" which is behind the drivers seat. I'm just looking for clarification.
My #0137 does not have those hold down tabs at the rear of the front carpets. (In front of the cross member) Perhaps you can help shed light on your former #0210? Does that car have the tabs?

Don
Porsche Rescue
I am guessing George means tabs at the rear of the front carpets.
smg914
QUOTE(sixerdon @ May 24 2009, 07:29 PM) *

Steve, he mentions a "rear carpet" which is behind the drivers seat. I'm just looking for clarification.
My #0137 does not have those hold down tabs at the rear of the front carpets. (In front of the cross member) Perhaps you can help shed light on your former #0210? Does that car have the tabs?

Don

I think the way George worded the sentence misled you.
My former #0310 did not have the tabs.
euro911
Our '71 1.7L (built 1-/71) is an original survivor. It has the carpet grommets, fog lights and a headliner ... although it has come unglued a few times in the summer months dry.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
at the rear of the two front carpets right in front of the seats are securing tabs and the corresponding holes in the carpet to secure them. Early models did not have these securing tabs, but after serial number about 680 they were added to keep the back of the carpet from moving about the floor. This seemed to correspond as well to the addition of fog lights and headliner on the six cylinders (the fog lights were always optional from the first of the sixes but not standard until around serial number 680
70Sixter
The fogs were supposed to have been standard on the -6s. My very early -6 did not have them. Porsche (dealer Joe Heishmann) later reimbursed me (about $135 IIRC) because the lites were included in the base price.

My -6 was so rare that the tech scrutineers put me in the -4 AX class until I 'fessed up. Then they put me in 911S class. Yeah, right.

Neither my early -6 nor my current (32228) late version had the felt headliner. Some -6ers added the liner as an attempt to quieten things down.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
you hit it on the money! Early sixes did not have the foglights. Maybe they did not have them available to install on the early production line? But we have seen many of these early cars without them over the last 35 years.
sixerdon
QUOTE(70Sixter @ May 26 2009, 09:45 AM) *

The fogs were supposed to have been standard on the -6s. My very early -6 did not have them. Porsche (dealer Joe Heishmann) later reimbursed me (about $135 IIRC) because the lites were included in the base price.

My -6 was so rare that the tech scrutineers put me in the -4 AX class until I 'fessed up. Then they put me in 911S class. Yeah, right.

Neither my early -6 nor my current (32228) late version had the felt headliner. Some -6ers added the liner as an attempt to quieten things down.

OK. So, my old #1900 and now #2228 (that would be 06/70?) is the last number without a headliner. Which means most if not all production MY 70's didn't have a headliner. Given that 07/70 is the last month for MY'70 production. Need more info from the owners of stock MY'70/4's. (which are probably rarer now than MY'70 /6's)
Don

Porsche Rescue
5/70 production 914/4 has no headliner.
Project 6
Hmmm, mine...under resto.... DOES have a headliner AND foglights. But could have been added by a PO.

It originally was built for Finland according to the COA and does not have the appearance group...or sway bars.
Porsche Rescue
No appearance group on a six? Do you mean no sail vinyl and painted bumpers? If so, likely only because it was not a US car. I have always believed all US sixes had chrome and vinyl. As to headliner, my bet is it was added or the top was replaced with a later one at some point.
Project 6
No vinyl but it did have the chrome strip underneath.
Porsche Rescue
Bumpers painted or chrome? Sounds like a rare car.
Project 6
Chromed....see my build thread in the garage. Steel wheels....pretty basic.
Porsche Rescue
I am guessing that the car once had vinyl on the sails if you have chrome bumpers and also have the trim strip at the base of the panel.
I can't imagine that Porshce mixed things up that much. With no vinyl there should be no trim and body colored bumpers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.